ADVERTISEMENT

Kaden Prather...

WVU wideout Kaden Prather recently entered the transfer portal and is one of the top WR available. There's been a lot of chatter about PSU and Maryland and I heard from a couple of sources on Prather this afternoon. It sounds like he will visit Maryland in the next day or so and if that happens, it sounds very likely he will be a Terp. PSU wants him badly but they seem to think as long as he visits Maryland in the next few days, they aren't going to get him.

Prather had 52 catches for 500 yards and 3 TDs this season playing in the Big 12. He's got excellent size at 6-foot-4, 210-pounds and was only a sophomore this season. This would be a big-time pickup for Maryland.

Login to view embedded media

UCLA game visitors...

There will be a few big-time visitors for tonight's game, both on the football and basketball side.

On the football side, Nyck Harbor expected to be back at Xfinity AGAIN. Gonna keep saying it, but I continue to feel good about this one. Also expecting DeMatha OL Tosin Babalade at the game tonight. For those unaware, he is the three-star OL that just decommitted from South Carolina. He's also good friends with Harbor.

Finally, JUCO safety Bishop Fitgerald is expected at the game tonight. He was originally supposed to officially visit last weekend but was unable to make it in. His official visit will be this upcoming weekend instead.

On the hoops side, 2024 top-30 big man Donnie Freeman is expected at the game tonight. Maryland made his top 5, but Iowa had seemed like the team to beat for a while with Texas making a major push. It's possible that with the recent news of Chris Beard being arrested for beating his girlfriend that Freeman is no longer considering Texas. Maryland desperately needs to land some bigs and he's local and one of the top bigs in his class. Sidwell Friends wing Caleb Williams will also be attending tonight. He's another big-time Team Takeover product with a laundry list of P5 offers. I think as of now, Maryland prefers Malachi Palmer and Drew McKenna, but Williams is perhaps right there as the next guy on their list.

How to Watch: Maryland vs. UCLA

UCLA (8-2) vs. Maryland (8-2)

When:
Wednesday, Dec. 14 | 9:00 p.m. ET
Where: Xfinity Center (College Park, Md.)
Television: FS1 (Streaming on FoxSports) - Watch Live
Broadcasters: Jason Benetti (play-by-play), Bill Raftery (color)
Radio: Maryland Sports Radio Network | Listen Online

Line: Terps -1.5
Over/Under: 141.5

Series history: UCLA leads the all-time series 6-2, with the Bruins winning the most recent meeting 71-59 on Nov. 19, 2007 in Kansas City, Mo. as part of the CBE Classic.

Projected Starting Lineups

UCLA

Tyger Campbell (5-foot-11, Senior, G) - A two-time first-team All-Pac 12 performer, averaging 13.2 points, 2.4 rebounds and a team-high 4.8 assists per game through the first 10 games of the season.
Amari Bailey (6-foot-5, Fr., G) - Averaging 10.9 points and 3.8 rebounds and 2.7 assists through the first 10 games of the season.
Jaylen Clark (6-foot-5, Junior, G) - Averaging 15.1 points and a team-high 6.1 rebounds per game so far this season.
Jaime Jaquez Jr. (6-foot-7, Senior G/F) - First-team All-Pac 12 performer a season ago, averaging a team-high 17.4 points, 5.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.6 steals per game.
Adem Bona (6-foot-10, Fr., F/C) - Averaging 7.1 points and 4.1 rebounds per game so far this season.

Maryland
Jahmir Young (6-foot-1, Senior, PG) - Averaging a team-high 15.6 points, 4.6 rebounds and 3.4 assists through 10 games.
Don Carey (6-foot-5, Senior, SG) - Averaging 7.4 points and 2.8 rebounds per game to start the season.
Hakim Hart (6-foot-8, Senior, G/F) - Averaging 12.4 points, 5.3 rebounds and 1.9 assists to start the season.
Donta Scott (6-foot-8, Senior, F) - Averaging 14.1 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.6 assists so far this season.
Julian Reese (6-foot-9, Soph., F/C) - Averaging 11.9 points and a team-high 7.6 rebounds per game through 10 games.

After a nearly flawless 8-0 start to the season that saw Maryland climb as high as No. 13 in the national polls, things have come crashing down a bit as the Terps have lost their last two games and saw their national ranking slip seven spots because of it. Maryland's last three games have all been against teams that are currently ranked in the AP top 25 and that trend will continue Wednesday night, when they host No. 16 UCLA.

The Bruins lost two in a row back in Nov., with one of the losses coming to an Illinois team the Terps have already beaten. Since then, UCLA has reeled off five straight wins, including wins versus Stanford and Oregon to open league play 2-0.

Wednesday night's game will pit first-year Maryland head coach Kevin Willard versus good friend Mick Cronin, as the two previously worked together under Rick Pitino at Louisville. In fact, it was that relationship and Willard's new job which led to tonight's matchup between Bruins and a Maryland program Lefty Driesell once called 'The UCLA of the East.'

"When I got the job Mick called, and I thought he was calling to congratulate me," Willard said of Cronin. "And he needed a pit stop before he played Kentucky and I am a good friend so I said, 'yes,' that he can come. And I had no idea that UCLA would be joining the Big Ten. We scheduled this game like early-mid April. So for me, I respect Mick, I love the way his team's play and UCLA is one of the best programs in the country. So to get them here was a no-brainer and to go out west next December was obviously a no-brainer because it's 75 and sunny."

The Bruins enter Wednesday night's game as one of the most efficient offensive teams in the country, on top of being one of the top teams defensively. They are led on the offensive end of the floor by seniors Jaime Jaquez and Tyger Cambell, both returning first-team All-Pac 12 performers from a season ago. Jaquez is a big, physical guard capable of creating his own shot as well as attacking the basket and scoring at the rim. Campbell is the straw that stirs the drink. He's an excellent ball handler with good vision who is at his best scoring off the dribble and from the mid-range. The Terps will need to slow those two down for starters.

For the Terps, they need to get back to hitting shots from the perimeter. In their most recent loss, Maryland shot just 2-24 from beyond the arc. In order to beat a team like UCLA, they must shoot better from the perimeter. Tabbed as a white out, this should be another packed house with lots of big names in the stands to watch this one. A win would give the Terps a 2-2 record over a tough four-game stretch in which all four opponents are currently ranked. That would likely keep the Terps right on track for a top-4 seed come March.

Login to view embedded media
Reactions: terp john

Terps land commitment from Cincinnati DB Ja'quan Sheppard

As I've mentioned numerous times now, I really like this pickup. This is a kid who was stuck behind his former roommate (the No. 4 pick in this year's draft) and flourished once he finally earned a starting spot. He played the boundary this season and has similar size and physicality to Banks. This should be a plug and play guy from Day 1. Bonus, he still has two years of eligibility should he choose to use them due to COVID.

STORY

Maryland football annual awards banquet winners

COLLEGE PARK, Md. – The University of Maryland football team held its annual awards banquet Sunday evening at The Hotel in College Park.

Maryland head coach Michael Locksley addressed an audience that included members of the team, coaching staff, administration and support staff following the awards session in which he recapped the 2022 season. Locksley also discussed the team’s upcoming matchup with No. 23 NC State in the Duke’s Mayo Bowl on December 30.

The Terrapins capped the night off by naming three permanent team captains in defensive back Jakorian Bennett, wide receiver Dontay Demus Jr. and quarterback Taulia Tagovailoa. The trio was chosen by their teammates as the representatives for the 2022 team.

The complete list of award winners is as follows.

Scout Team Special Teams Player of the Year: Eli Mason
Freshman Special Teams Player of the Year: Octavian Smith Jr.
Scout Team Defensive Player of the Year: David Brownlee
Freshman Defensive Player of the Year: Jaishawn Barham
Scout Team Offensive Player of the Year: David Foust
Freshman Offensive Player of the Year: Ramon Brown
Dr. John E. Faber Iron Man Award: Alex Simet
George Boutselis Memorial Award (letterman with highest GPA): Dante Trader Jr.
George C. Cook Memorial Award (senior with highest GPA): Eric Najarian
Alvin L. Aubinoe Unsung Hero Award: Spencer Anderson, Austin Fontaine
Public Service Award: Isaac Bunyun
A.V. Williams Award (outstanding & conspicuous sportsmanship): Jeshaun Jones
James M. Tatum Memorial Award (Lineman of the Year): Ami Finau, Johari Branch
Jordan McNair Memorial Award: Dontay Demus Jr., Jakorian Bennett
Special Teams Player of the Year: Chad Ryland
Defensive Player of the Year: Jaishawn Barham
Offensive Player of the Year: Roman Hemby
Ray Krouse Memorial Award (MVP): Taulia Tagovailoa
2022 Team Captains (voted on by players): Jakorian Bennett, Dontay Demus Jr., Taulia Tagovailoa
Reactions: terpaddict

Willard says postgame...

On the support from the NY fans, says they were great and the fans have been great all year.

On the three-point woes, says it means they need to start shooting it better.

Says they were trying to press the entire game, but you have to make baskets in order to do that. When you only have 3 field goals like they did in the first half, it makes it hard to wear them down.

Jahmir Young on having some chances at the end, says he was just trying to hit the big shot for the team to win.

Willards says the good thing about these games this time of year is you really get to learn a lot about these teams. Moving forward, not sure we will see as many of these games moving forward. You can't play Illinois and Wisconsin in league play and then play a tough top 10 opponent on a neutral floor without being able to practice. We've learned a lot, but we've regressed in part because we aren't getting to practice. These games are great, but you can take a step back because you just aren't getting as much time to work on things and practice.

Says they let Tennessee push us around too much, early in the game, we let them set the tone with their physicality. Let them get 21 offensive rebounds.

This team is resilient and they are a good group to coach. The biggest thing we've got to work on is in-game kind of stuff. They showed they are a tough group, resilient. Hard working we just need to get them back into the practice gym to work with them a bit.

On Reese's foul trouble again, says he has to keep JuJu in the game a little bit, says they didn't handle his foul trouble well at all. Can't have Emilien at 6'6" guarding a 7-footer. And Cal has regressed a bit. But Julian will figure it out and I have confidence in him.

Says Jahmir is progressing faster than he thought he would, especially as a point guard. This is a moster difference from what he went through at Charlotte so been impressed with his progress.

We HAVE to win the three-point battle and we have lost it the past two games. We simply aren't going to beat teams with more physicality. But again, we have to win that battle. That's going to be my message to them the next two weeks. Because that's what we practice.
ADVERTISEMENT

Filter

ADVERTISEMENT