ADVERTISEMENT

Your Maryland story

terpaddict

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2001
Newnan, GA
This thread is intended to be a variation of "the origin of your board name" discussion we've considered over the years, hopefully expanding interest for the board and increasing enjoyment for the participants.

My addiction began in 1979 or 1980 when I discovered I could receive the night time broadcasts of Maryland BB games on WMAL from downtown Atlanta. My dear wife (soon to be of 45 years) observed I had become a terp addict. The name stuck, but the story began much earlier.

My only trip to College Park was around my 15th birthday when my father took me to the PSU game. Until recently, that was the only Terp victory in the series. I suspect I may be the only Maryland fan here who has never seen the Terps lose a FB game in person. Admittedly, I've only seen one other game - the Peach Bowl in Ralph's second (?) year when Maryland thrashed Tennessee.

After college, I returned to the DC area and discovered the young man who had ked the state of Virginia in scoring played for my former high school, and I drove into the suburbs on several occasions to see Jim O'Brien play. That spring Lefty was hired, and he took out a full page in the newspaper, asking Jim and several other top players to become Terps. Though I soon returned to Atlanta, I kept track of O'Brien to see how he fared in college. As you know, Lefty signed several excellent players in the early 70s, and Maryland BB was a big deal nationally.

When Georgia Tech joined the ACC and Maryland starting coming to Atlanta, I attended those games and met Coach Lefty and Johnny Holliday. Back then, by the way, Johnny was a one-man crew. He was particularly nice to me, both in person and on the phone, so I never join in the "Johnny's losing it" discussions.

That's enough of my Maryland story. I look forward to reading yours. As for our honorable guy in charge, Scott, you don't have a board name to be revealed, but I suspect many here would appreciate reading how your association with Maryland has gone over the several years you've been with us.

Blessings,
Chuck Cleveland

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News