ADVERTISEMENT

WBB: Terps welcome Mir McLean to roster

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
COLLEGE PARK, MD -- Maryland women’s basketball team head coach Brenda Frese signed the Terrapins’ seventh transfer, Mir McLean, this week.

McLean, a Baltimore native, heads to Maryland after playing the end of the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons at Virginia, after starting her career at UConn. She averaged 11.8 points and 9.0 rebounds in 26 games at Virginia before suffering a knee injury.
"We are excited to add some great ladies to our program this off-season,” head coach Brenda Frese said. “It's truly been a ton of hard work and a team effort from our staff, academic advisor and support staff. In addition, I want to thank Athletic Director, Damon Evans and Deputy AD, Colleen Sorem for their unwavering support of me and our program. It matters. I feel grateful to be leading this program in this new era of NIL. Lastly, I have to give a huge thanks to everyone who's donated to our One Maryland Collective. That support is invaluable to our program for now and the future."
MIR MCLEAN
Guard/Forward ● 5-11
Junior
Baltimore, MD ● Roland Park Country School (UConn/Virginia)
  • Missed 2023-24 season due to injury
  • Saw action in 26 games over two seasons at Virginia, where she averaged 11.8 points, 9.0 rebounds per game
  • In 2022-23, started in 13 of 15 games to start the season
  • Picked up 7 career double-doubles, all at Virginia
  • Scored in double figures in 21 career games
  • All-ACC Academic Team
  • No. 25 ranked recruit in her class
  • 2020 McDonald’s All-American, Jordan Brand Classic All-American
  • 2020 Maryland Gatorade Player of the Year

Frese on McLean: “It's fitting that the final piece to our recruiting is a local star in Mir McLean. I shared with Mir that I made a huge mistake not recruiting her the first time around in high school. I wasn't going to let that happen a second time. Mir is as competitive as they come and is a silent assassin. Mir is extremely versatile, athletic, can rebound, defend and score. Mir will bring a level of experience and leadership with her to our team that will be invaluable. Welcome home, Mir."

McLean on Maryland: “I chose Maryland because I know the atmosphere will fit me as much as it will challenge and push me to be my best self. I’m super excited to be coming home and show up for my state!”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News