ADVERTISEMENT

Recruits at the game...

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
I'm sure most of you saw the initial list I put together ahead of Saturday's big season-opening win over WVU, but here are some additional names to know that were in the stands.

First, I had mentioned that I would not be surprised if the St. Frances crew did NOT make it out due to a COVID outbreak among the team, but it turns out not only did Jude Bowry make it out, but he brought Jaishawn Barham and Andre Roye with him. Another top 2023 St. Frances target, Christian Garrett, was also in attendance. At this point, I'm about as high as I've been on Maryland's chances with Barham. Adding a Rivals100 LB from the DMV would be huge for this class. But he's been on campus numerous times now in the past few months and really seems to like everything he's seen.

Good Counel's Dylan Gooden, Kyle Altuner and Spencer Jones all made it out and they were joined by 2023 QB, former Georgia commit and teammate Neeo Avery. I asked a source about Avery last week and he basically decommitted from UGA because he wanted a chance to really show his stuff at QB and have a real shot at playing the position in college. It became pretty evident to him right off the bat he wasn't going to get a real shot at QB at UGA and he would be put immediately at TE. I think the Terps have a solid shot with Avery moving forward.

One new 2022 prospect to keep an eye on that was in attendance is Richmond (Va.) Benedictine WR Leon Haughton. The Terps made Haughton's top 7 but he has seemed focused on UVA, Vandy and made one or two others of late. But with the attrition in this class at WR, Maryland could be putting some renewed focus on him and Saturday was certainly a very good impression. He's got some officials lined up, but if they can get him back on campus again, they could have a real shot here.

One other key visitor was Virginia 2023 WR Tony Rojas. He's a named I've previously mentioned over the summer as he was at Maryland's BBQ and it's become clear he is at the top of their WR board for the next cycle.

Finally, I had hoped to have some hoops names last week, but all I initially got was that they would have some younger prospects on campus (ie no 2022 kids). Well I do know they had a handful of 2023 kids from the Philly area.

The first name is one I've mentioned numerous times and is someone I think they have an excellent chance with, Elmarko Jackson. He's a former lacrosse star who is now focused on hoops and was one of the top PG during the AAU circuit with WER1 this past spring. He's now attending a new school and he's a kid that could potentially reclass back to 2022. I personally love everything about this kid and think the Terps are in a really good spot here. Will be interesting to see if they possibly push for him to reclass.

A couple of other names are a pair of EYBL Team Final kids. First is five-star forward Justin Edwards. He's a kid that attends Imhotep, the same high school that has produced Donta Scott, Fatts Russell and DJ Moore on the football side. We'll see what kind of shot they have here, but hopefully Donta and Fatts were in his ear about how great College Park is. The other is Rahmir Barno, a 2023 PG who also attends Imhotep and is currently in the Rivals150. Barno is on the smallish side and based on his current offer list, is probably more of a secondary option at this time, but again, good to see them hosting multiple PG targets that they have a real shot with.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News