ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Notes: Oct. 16

RyanSnyder

TSR Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Nov 2, 2013
I've been able to compile a few notes from some discussions that I've have with contacts and prospects over the past week. In addition to those notes, I've also been able to confirm multiple high school games that the assistant coaches are expected to attend this weekend, plus a few visits that they've taken throughout the week.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask below.

Ath. Trevon Diggs - FILM - Gaithersburg, Md. - The Avalon School - 2016

There's been a lot of talk over the past week about how the appointment of Mike Locksley as the interim head coach impacts Diggs, so I made a few calls over the past few days. From what I've been able to gather, Locksley has informed Diggs that he'll be able to play whatever position he'd prefer if he were to attend Maryland. Previously, it was believed that Edsall preferred Diggs strictly at cornerback, but it sounds like the staff is now informing Diggs that he can choose his position if he were to become a Terp. It's believed that he prefers wide receiver.

Obviously, that's a good move for the Terps, but I've also been informed that there may have been some sort of rift between Diggs' family and Edsall. Take that for what it's worth. I'm normally not comfortable when it comes to making comments on those sorts of topics, especially when I don't hear it directly from the player or his family, but this has been talked about by a few people that I trust, so I do believe there's some legitimacy to that.

It also sounds like Locksley was the main reason that Diggs was seriously considering the Terps in the first place, so all of this is a major reason why Diggs appears to be back in play for the Terps.

However, again, I will stress that basically all of the info you read on Diggs is from contacts and not the family directly. Diggs and his family have been staying away from the media, so just keep that in mind between now and when he makes a decision. But overall, there's been a lot of positive talk when it comes to how all of the recent decisions at Maryland impact Diggs in a positive way.

RB Jake Funk - FILM - Damascus, Md. - Damascus - 2016

I haven't personally caught up with Funk yet. Pat wrote the update on him after he received his offer on Tuesday. Click Here if you'd like to read that again.

I have spoken with contacts and colleagues about his situation. Long story short, Funk is still very interested in Wisconsin and he speaks with them regularly. He was offered by the Badger coaching staff to play middle linebacker following an excellent performance at Wisconsin's camp. However, within a week of that offer, the Badgers got a commitment from Dallas Jeanty. He's the only middle linebacker that Wisconsin will be taking in this class, so that's why Funk's offer is no longer valid.

Because of that, Maryland is now considered the favorite and I'm under the impression that he could make a commitment basically any day now. As Pat posted in his update, Funk is going to take an unofficial visit to Maryland on Sunday, Oct. 25. If he doesn't make a commitment before that visit, it sounds like there's a very good chance that he'll officially be a Terp that day.

Again, I will stress that Wisconsin is still talking to Funk, so we should keep an eye on that, but my colleagues that cover the Badgers don't believe his situation will change. Jeanty is firmly committed, so as long as that doesn't change, Maryland shouldn't have any issues locking up his commitment.

UPDATE: Friday: 12:15 PM - Funk has officially committed to Maryland. Click Here to go to that thread.

RB Abdul Adams - FILM - Durham, N.C. - Hillside - 2016

I don't have a ton to add on Adams, but I was able to speak with some contacts and they informed me that they believe the appointment of Locksley as the interim head coach could have a very positive impact on Adams. Basically, I reached out to contacts to ask them who they believe this coaching change would impact the most and all three of the people I spoke with said that they believe it would impact Diggs and Adams the most. The fact that all three said the exact same prospects stood out to me.

One person informed me that they believe this would help the staff potentially earn an official visit, but when I spoke with my most trusted contact this morning, I was informed that nothing is in the works as of now. I still think the staff has work to do if they're going to sway him to switch his commitment, but I will do my best to stay up-to-date on his situation a bit more now that this coaching change has taken place.

WR Aaron Mathews - FILM - Clairton, Pa. - Clairton - 2016

Like Adams and Diggs, Mathews has little interest in speaking the media, but I was able to gather a few tidbits on his situation with Maryland this week.

From what I know, Mathews is likely headed to Pitt. One of my colleagues actually spoke with him briefly this week following his unofficial visit to Pitt over the weekend. He asked about how the decision to let Edsall go impacts his situation at Maryland and Mathews said that he didn't even know Edsall was let go. This conversation took place on Monday.

I think that speaks for how serious he's considering the Terps. I do believe that Maryland is one of the two or three schools he's seriously considering, but it appears that Pitt has a big lead here and that's it's only a matter of time before he becomes a Panther.

I also spoke with contacts about Mathews yesterday and I was informed that, as of now, an official visit isn't in the works. One other thing that I was informed, by multiple contacts, is that Maryland is definitely recruiting him as a wide receiver. I've seen people mention on this board that he's being recruited as cornerback, but I'm 100 percent positive that's not the case. Maryland is looking to add as many athletes as possible between now and signing day. The wide receiver position definitely isn't finished. I don't expect the staff to add a wide receiver just to add someone, but I am confident that the staff is still looking to add as many athletes as possible in the final three months.

Multiple New Scholarship Offers

In addition to 2016 RB Jake Funk, Maryland has extended five additional scholarships offers over the past week. Most were to 2017 prospects, but one went out to a 2018 prospect.

- WR Emmanuel Greene - FILM - Bradenton, Fla. - IMG Academy - 2017

- Four-star prospect. Already holds 18 offers. Other top schools include Clemson, Florida, Miami, Ohio State, Penn State, TCU, Tennessee and UCLA.

- WR Jaevon McQuitty - FILM - Columbia, Mo. - Battle - 2017

- Maryland is very high on McQuitty. They believe he'll be a 20+ offer prospect. He added an offer from Illinois the day after Maryland. Kansas and Nebraska have also offered. I've been able to text with McQuitty this week and he seems genuinely excited about the offer, but I'm still trying to line up a formal interview. Hopefully I can post more on him early next week.

- OL Cesar Ruiz - FILM - Bradenton, Fla. - IMG Academy - 2017

- Ruiz is the third ranked center in the nation for the 2017 class. He's originally from Philadelphia. I believe he's wide open still. Top offers include Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Michigan, Penn State, Pitt, Tennessee and Virginia Tech.

- WR Cameron Sullivan-Brown - FILM - Laurel, Md. - St. Vincent Pallotti - 2017

- I don't believe Sullivan-Brown is aware of the offer yet, but contacts confirmed that the staff has officially decided to extend an offer. I've hit on him a few times in recent months. I believe he's going to emerge as one of the best athletes in Maryland for next year's cycle. Top offers right now include Boston College, Illinois, N.C. State, Northwestern and Virginia.

- Ath. Houston Griffith - FILM - Chicago, Ill. - Mt. Carmel - 2018

- Son of Howard Griffith, who played for Illinois and in the NFL. He's now a broadcaster on the Big Ten Network. Maryland is very high on Houston. They think he'll be an excellent safety. He also holds early offers from Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky and Virginia

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News