ADVERTISEMENT

On the open hoops assistant coaching position

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
It seems like Mike Jones is the clear frontrunner for the open spot on Willard's bench. I was a bit skeptical at first with him being the associate head coach at VT and after also hearing his family really likes it in Blacksburg. But he appears more than open to a return back home and there has also been some chatter that Cooley could have also been looking to make some moves with his current staff in order to make a run at Jones, as well. But again, I think he is the clear frontrunner at the moment.

What will be interesting is what happens if Billmeier ends up leaving, also. Which again, looks like a very real possibility. As I mentioned in another thread, I think you have to make a call to Mike Pegues, as like Billmeier he is known as an excellent big man coach. I also think Dwayne Anderson and maybe Kenny Johnson could still be in play, also. One other name that was mentioned to me that could also make a lot of sense is current South Kent head coach Raphael Chillious. He has deep, deep recruiting ties to this area, has been an assistant at Washington, Villanova and UConn and recruited guys like Isaiah Thomas, Markelle Fultz, Terrence Ross, Dejounte Murray and a bunch more. Before his return to South Kent, he was the associate head coach at ECU. He coached former Terp target and five-star PG Elmarko Jackson this past season. Like Jones, he also has deep ties to Nike. One other note, he will be one of the coaches for the US All-Stars at the Capital Classic.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News