ADVERTISEMENT

Ngakoue going pro

pdonohue

TSR Beat/Recruiting Writer
Staff
Feb 17, 2014
Per Maryland Athletics release:

COLLEGE PARK, Md. –
Junior defensive end Yannick Ngakoue has announced his decision to forgo his senior season and declare for the 2016 NFL Draft.

“We are thrilled for Yannick and his family that he has made this decision to pursue his lifelong dream of playing in the NFL,” said interim head coach Mike Locksley. “After speaking with Yannick and his family, he feels that he is prepared to take this step in his football career and we support his decision. We wish him well and look forward to seeing him compete at the highest level.”

“I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone that is in anyway affiliated with the University of Maryland and its football program,” Ngakoue said in a statement posted to Twitter. “For the last three years I have called College Park my home, and I can honestly say that everyone here will remain an integral part of my family. I am a better person for having chosen Maryland as my home, and I know that has allowed me to be prepared for what lies ahead.”

Ngakoue had a tremendous junior campaign in 2015, breaking Maryland’s single-season sack record with 13.5 sacks – a mark that ranks second in the nation. He finished his career among Maryland’s best in a number of other categories: fourth in career sacks (21.5), sixth in career TFL yards (176) and eighth in career TFLs (33).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News