ADVERTISEMENT

News, notes from football scrimmage at Ballou

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
The Terps had an open scrimmage yesterday afternoon at Ballou in DC. It is the final warm up before next Saturday's spring game. Below are some notes and highlights from the day.

- After Cam Edge was the first to roll out with the first-team offense at the open practice up in Baltimore, it was Billy Edwards who started with the first-team offense during yesterday's scrimmage. The rest of the first-team unit was Hemby (RB), Prather (WR), Knotts (WR), Robert Smith (WR), P. Howard (TE), Dumervil (LT), Bunyun (LG), Kaltenberger (C), Bah (RG), Herron (RT). Tai Felton, Octavian Smith, Kyle Long and Conor Fagan were all out yesterday.

Edwards looked decent on the opening drive until he gave up a pick six to Rex Fleming who jumped a route and took it all the way.

- Morris ran with the second-team offense yesterday. Nolan Ray was the second unit's RB. AJ Szymanski was the TE. The second unit WR were Ryan Manning, Zeke Avit and Robert Smith again. Braeden Wisloski played mostly slot with the first unit, although he wasn't technically a starter. Billy Malloy (LT), Isaac Bunyun (LG), Tamarus Walker (C), Deandre Duffus (RG) and Andre Roye (RT) were the second unit o-line.

Morris hit Robert Smith for a touchdown in the back of the end zone on a nice drive by the second unit. Morris seems to be improving and probably has the best overall skillset of all the QBs, but he needs to keep learning the playbook and get more comfortable.

- Edge ran with the first unit and struggled with accuracy. I think it is safe to say Edge has the strongest arm when throwing the deep ball, but he needs to get better with timing and accuracy with shorter routes, especially quick throws to the outside. Long and Sauray both got to run some drills, but they aren't going to be competing for the starting job.

- There was one injury of note, as defensive lineman Lavon Johnson went down with an injury and needed medical help, including an air cast. This will definitely be something to watch going in to the spring game. Hopefully he's alright.

- After the scrimmage, DC Council member Trayon White announced that the weight room at Ballou will be renamed the 'Michael A. Locksley Training Center,' in his honor. Locks is a graduate of Ballou.

“I’m a DC kid and I’m the fabric and the DNA of what this city is all about, runs all through the veins of Mike Locksley," the Terrapin head coach said after being recognized. "To be honored with a proclamation from Trayon White here, who’s the ward eight councilman that represents the area that I spent half of my childhood. I was one of those guys that was on both sides of the bridge with Southwest being what I call home and then moving over to this side for high school. It’s great to be recognized. It’s great to be recognized for something other than just the football piece. It’s about making a difference in the lives of the community that I serve.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News