ADVERTISEMENT

Latest on hoops staff...

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Just wanted to give another update this morning on where things seem to stand on the makeup of the hoops staff as we begin another week....

- With regards to DOBO, still expecting Greg Manning Jr. to fill that role. He began last season in that role before being promoted to a bench assistant following the departure of Turgeon. Manning Jr. did a tremendous job continuing to get after in on the recruiting trail even after Turgeon was gone, essentially landing a commitment from McNeilly and getting Maryland heavily involved with Batchelor. And of course he is another staffer with strong Baltimore ties, having both played and coached at Loyola under Patsos.

- With regard to the recruiting coordinator position I've mentioned several times since Willard was hired, it is looking like it will be Aberdeen native Tevon Saddler who will fill that role. Saddler starred at St. Frances in Baltimore and has deep ties to head coach Nick Myles and that program. He spent last season as a bench assistant at McNeese St. after spending the two years prior at Nicholls State as the DOBO. As a player, he spent a season starring at Nicholls State after beginning his college career at UNC Greensboro, where he was recruited by Duane Simpkins and Wes Miller. He was SOCON freshman of the year and was named All-Southland following his lone season at Nicholls St. But he's helped recruit numerous locals to both Nicholls St. and Murray St. in his short time at each stop. This could prove to be a really good hire down the road as I've heard good things about Saddler as both a teacher and recruiter. I was always a big fan of his game in high school and he was a really nice kid, too, so again, this seems like a really good hire that could pay big dividends down the road. As for Jordan Brooks who I mentioned initially, it seems there is a very good chance he remains on Sean Miller's staff at Xavier.

- Finally, as for Billmeier, I know it is being reported he is done to Maryland. I have been unable to confirm this. As I mentioned yesterday, I know Willard and Maryland are going along working as if Billmeier will fill that third spot, but I've heard nothing personally that it is already a done deal with a signed contract. As I have mentioned from the beginning, a source who is a very close personal friend of Billmeier's told me from the jump it was not a forgone conclusion he would be on staff here and that it wasn't just about the money, either. If this was about money, I think I can confidently say Billmeier would have already been announced as the third assistant as Maryland is offering significantly more than he would likely be offered at either St. Peter's or to stay on as an assistant at Seton Hall. There was a report yesterday that Brandin Knight is out of the running for the St. Peter's job and that Willard was expected to reach out to St. Peter's officials on Billmeier's behalf over the weekend. If Billmeier is, in fact, a done deal as is being reported, I would expect an official announcement at some point today. And to be clear, Billmeier has essentially been working since Willard was hired as if he's the third assistant on Maryland's staff. But as we have seen in the past on the football side, it doesn't guarantee things will get finalized. I expect Billmeier to likely be part of this staff, but I just want to be clear that from what I am able to find out, it is not yet a done deal. Again, if it IS a done deal, we should absolutely know later today.

Reactions: TheGodfather7
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News