ADVERTISEMENT

Football staff...

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
So Charlie Strong took an analyst position with Alabama yesterday. Have to say, a bit of a head scratcher based on some things I was hearing. That said, based on a few other things I was hearing, I guess I should have seen this coming.

I was told that he parted ways with Miami because he had no desire to stay if he was not going to be promoted to DC. He seemed to reject a few overtures and then had interest in an on-field role at Bama only to be passed over. Then he popped up at Maryland and he's good friends with Locks and I was hearing that something was likely to get done.

With all of that said, I have also heard he has some issues getting around and he is no spring chicken at 62. At the end of the day, he's getting paid a lot of money to have a smaller off-field role at a national title contender. Just still a bit surprised that is the route he chose based on some things I had been hearing.

So now the question is who is next man up? It appears that person could very well be Zac Spavital, older brother of former Sumlin OC Jake Spavital. Zac was most recently his younger brother's DC at Texas State, and spent 4 years as co-DC/LB coach at Texas Tech before that. Like his brother, Zac also has ties to Sumlin as he served as his DB coach at Houston. This hire would almost be the opposite of hiring Strong as Spavital is experienced, but still very young.

As for the offensive side of the ball, continue to hear Pep Hamilton's name thrown around but the one that really surprises me is Josh Gattis, as it sounds like there is a real chance he could come on as co-OC. I never in a million years would have believed that a couple of months ago, but it seems it is a real possibility. While Gattis and Locks obviously went their separate ways a few years back, there is no denying that Gattis still has a pretty strong resume, having won the Broyles just a couple of seasons ago while at Michigan.

But with Strong having moved on, I feel like it shouldn't be much longer at least on the defensive side of the ball. Will have to see with the offensive positions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News