ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching search thoughts this AM

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Ok, so I just wanted to give some thoughts on the latest of what I'm hearing, trying to decipher, thinking, etc.

On Mullen, as I've said many times now, I've heard plenty of chatter on Maryland's end from boosters, etc and even a few plugged in folks down south, but I've never been able to come up with anything concrete enough that I was comfortable saying he's the guy or he's definitely got the offer in hand. Him supposedly wanting to get out of Starkville hasn't changed. He just lost the Egg Bowl again last night and simply put, he's got one of the toughest jobs in American in a place not many coaches would want to work. Some Mullen to UVA rumors seem to persist but just like folks outside of Maryland seem to think re: him and the Terps, the UVA talk also seems to be more rumblings than anything right now. I haven't heard from anyone in the know that he's seriously considering them or vice versa. Also, and I touched on this before, but from what I've gathered, Maryland is willing to spend for the right coach, UVA likely isn't going to compete with Maryland from a salary standpoint. We'll see what happens, but if Mullen really is looking to get out of Starkville, he's keeping an extremely low profile.

Kevin Anderson was at the basketball game last night and a colleague half jokingly tried to get out of him who it's going to be or who it is they are interviewing. He's playing it close to the vest, but a couple of names we haven't talked about recently that I would keep an eye on based on a couple of things I've heard: Dino Babers and Matt Rhule.

Rhule is supposed to be interviewing for the Missouri job today and could be the frontrunner there. The three guys they seemed to be targeting were Campbell (took Iowa St. job), Rhule and their current DC. Have heard that UVA is interested in Rhule also. One thing about Rhule though is that Temple is playing in the AAC championship game so you might not be able to announce his hiring until after the game.

Babers is a guy Maryland got to see first hand when his Bowling Green team came back to beat Maryland in College Park. He oversees one of the top offenses in the country and has some ties to Kevin Anderson.

Outside of those two, I really don't have anything new. Still expect interviews to begin tomorrow and go through Wednesday. One of those interviews will be Mike Locksley. Will he get the job? I think it's unlikely, but we will know soon enough.

Other names I'm keeping an eye on are Scott Frost, Pep Hamilton and D.J. Durkin. Frank Reich's name continues to come up from time to time, but again, as I've said from the start, I just can't see him getting the job having zero college coaching experience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News