ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball roster moving forward...

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
I'm expecting some attrition this offseason, likely beginning with Baltimore redshirt freshman Ike Cornish, who struggled to get playing time this season after sitting out last year.

I think it is also likely that foreign big men Pavlo Dzubia and Arnaud Revaz will be moving on this offseason as they haven't played at all during their careers at Maryland.

As for the three seniors with an extra COVID year, as I've been saying throughout the season, I have still heard little to nothing to make me think any of the three are coming back and as of now, I would expect all three to be moving on this offseason.

So where does that leave the Terps? That would be eight players outgoing with a four-man freshman class currently coming in. That leaves Willard with four additional scholarships to use on players in the transfer portal.

The two biggest needs, in my opinion, are a ball handler and an experienced big, with a sniper as a close third. I know I've mentioned this quite a few times, but despite his assist numbers this season, I still don't see Deshawn Harris-Smith coming in and handling full-time ball handling duties in the Big Ten as a freshman. This is based on things I've heard from numerous sources who have watched him extensively over the past year. That said, if Willard believes he is ok with just Jahari Long and DHS, the biggest need would then be a sniper on the wing to replace Don Carey. As for bigs, while Patrick Emilien was a pleasant surprise this season, ideally they need someone bigger and with more length who can be more of an offensive threat in the Big Ten. I also believe that ideally they are looking for a four man with some face-up skills that they can play next to Reese in the middle.

As for some of the possible portal names I've recently mentioned, I'll address a few here. With regards to Benny Williams who just a few weeks ago I saw as a real possibility to return home to play for Maryland, that ship appears to have sailed. I was hearing from multiple sources at the time he was unhappy and looking to return home but with former Takeover coach Red Autry replacing Boeheim and him adding another Takeover coach in GW associate head coch Brendan Straughn to the staff, it looks like Williams is not going to go anywhere.

Maryland has also wasted little time in getting the ball rolling with Towson transfer Nick Timberlake, who they have already done a Zoom meeting with. So it appears he is a real possibility along with Harvard transfer Chris Ledlum, who they seem to really like also. A lot more names are going to pop up in the portal starting tomorrow as things are going to start really heating up with the postseason winding down.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News