ADVERTISEMENT

Zusi, Gonzalez, & DeLaGarza called up to US NT for January friendlies

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Central defensders A.J. DeLaGarza and Omar Gonzalez, both with the L.A. Glaxay; and midfielder Graham Zusi of Sporting Kansas City, have been named by new US NT coach Jurgen Klinsmann to the 20-man USA roster for training camp the third week of Januaray. They have to friendlies coming up at the end of the month against Venezuela and Panama.

This is a continuation of great news for Graham Zusi who is getting his first national team call-up. He was recently named by Major League Soccer (MLS) as the leagues Breakout Player of the Year for 2011.

This training camp roster is built largely on Major League Soccer players who are in their club offseason. The majority of top US players are with European clubs and have commitments through the winter and therefor are unavailable for a friendly exhibition match. That is why you do not see ex-Terp Maurice Edu on the roster as he continues his fine career with Glascow Rangers.

Omar Gonzalez was recently voted the Major League Soccer 2011 Defender of the Year. His play has been so consistently effective that at this point, I think his chances of being in the next World Cup are improving steadily.
A.J. DeLaGarza is also having a fine career with the Galaxy and has been called up to the US NT enough now that I think he is also becoming a factor. It doesn't hurt that Klinsmann was living in Southern California for several years prior to getting the nod for the US NT position and is quite familiar with Gonzalez and DeLaGarza.

Hey Mike : A.J. has come a long way. From a two time All Met at Lackey High School to the threshold of the National team. Who would of thunk it ??

Yes, he has come a long way, but I am not sure he beats out the Europe-based American players for the USNT when we get to the big tournaments. He will have a shot at it, but I think Omar has a better chance of making it. We'll see.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT