ADVERTISEMENT

Women's Lax Dominates Navy in NCAA 1st Round; Timchal's return, etc etc.

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Reposting this from Premium Board. Someone asked over there about the injury status of Karri Ellen Johnson. She is out and at this point, I expect she is done for the year. When she first got injured vs. Towson over a month ago, she was referred to as "day to day". That became week to week and now they just are not saying, so I would be very surprised if she returned. They are also w/o a top reserve, Danielle Kirk, who broke her leg in a physical education class, playing basketball, so Maryland's depth has been challenged.

Getting back Brandi was important as this team needed good news on the health front, plus she brings a lot of speed and experience to the lineup; for those reasons Brandi is especially difficult to mark, and she creates yet one more headache for the oppositon. That and the fact that Maryland was still p.o.ed from the upset loss to Dartmouth. Cathy Reese and the players said afterward they used that to their advantage. They were much more focussed in this game and that showed early on when they took a 3-0 lead with just 1:45 gone in the 1st half.

All that said, it was sentimental seeing Cindy Timchal return as Navy's coach. There was a warm welcome for her from the Maryland players and staff. As always, she was 1st class in the postgame after watching her team get killed. Maryland actually got to the 10-goal mercy rule more than 4 minutes before halftime -- a rarity in this sport. Navy's defense -- their strong suit -- was no match for the human wave assault that Maryland threw at them.

One major factor for Maryland, with Karri Ellen being out, has been other players stepping up. Everyone knows that Sarah Mollison has been critical to the Terps' fortunes and she did not disappoint today, getting 4 goals and 4 assists. But a key for Maryland was Kristy Black who came up huge, getting a hat trick plus an assist.
Terps are going to face Princeton (again) next. Princeton just nipped JMU 11-10 on the road and are likely a better team than the one Maryland abused early in the season. Game is next Saturday and as far as I know, will be at noon, but check umterps.com to be certain.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT