ADVERTISEMENT

Why Pep Hamilton makes sense

terpfanz

Junior
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
He is 41 years old, available now and despite being recently fired as the offensive coordinator of the Indianapolis Colts, is very highly thought of in football circles. Many highly regarded football people will tell you that Hamilton was the scapegoat in Indianapolis and he is still viewed as an up and coming coach. Therefore, he will get a new job in the business sooner rather than later. Pep Hamilton definitely deserves a chance to be the lead man of a football program.

With that being said, I know he might not be a high profile name, nor does he have the resume at this time of a proven Division 1 head coach like a Dan Mullen. What he does have is a history in this area, as well as success in the NFL as an offensive coordinator working with a high profile quarterback in Andrew Luck. Whether that translates into wins at the college level is yet to be seen.

In my mind, I wish the University of Maryland would wait until after the season for a hire. Yet there are good reasons to jump now before the Miami's of the world make their picks and some of the recruits jump ship.

The only hope is that the University of Maryland is willing to increase the budget for assistant coaches. College football is a business and in business, one is only as good as the people that work in that business. If you want our next coach to be successful, he has to be able to afford the tools that will put him in a position to succeed. Keeping Mike Locksley on board in some capacity would go a long way in this process! Pep Hamilton coincidentally has a history with Lockley.

In ending, let it be remembered there are many an assistant coach that jumped into a head coaching position were successful! Thus, if the hire is Pep Hamilton, I will wish him well and will support him!

Go Terps!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News