ADVERTISEMENT

Turgeon says at B1G Media Day...

pdonohue

TSR Beat/Recruiting Writer
Staff
Feb 17, 2014
Turgeon opens up his presser at Big Ten Media Day by welcoming everyone to DC.

He said he's excited about his team this season but added that there's a lot more teaching involved with this team as opposed to last year when he had a more "veteran team." Said that the players have been very receptive to his teaching and are also very anxious to get things going this year.

Turgeon talked about trying to set a standard at Maryland and continuing the success that they've had the last two season. Said he and the team believe that this will be another good year.

On Melo Trimble: "He is a great piece. I think all along Melo wanted to stay. He knew it was the best thing for him and he's been very happy with his decision."
Turgeon went on to say that Melo knows that it is his team this year and seems more confident as a leader than he's ever been. Turgeon also said that Melo is playing at a high level right now and that this is the best he's ever seen him. He's predicting a great year for the junior point guard.

On Dion Wiley: "It's been a long road, long recovery. I'd say Dion is at 85 or 90 percent right now. His weight is at a good spot right now, which is good for his knee."
Turgeon added that Wiley's ball skills have all improved and his shot looks solid. Turgeon said Wiley's journey since coming to College Park, on and off the court, has been remarkable and he commends him for his hard work.

"I'm really excited about our freshman class," Turgeon said. He added that he thought Anthony Cowan was one of the top two or three point guards in this class and that he's different from Melo in certain ways like how he can get under players on defense and cause havoc. Said Cowan has a huge chip on his shoulder. "He's going to play a lot right away and help us."

Turgeon said Kevin Huerter has really improved since USA Basketball, especially on defense. Said Huerter thinks like a point guard on the floor and has a little bit of Melo in him as far as his competitiveness and killer instinct.

And on Justin Jackson, Turgeon said he is a 6-7 player with a 7-plus wingspan that also thinks like a point guard. He's excited to coach him this year.

Turgeon was asked about building a "Big Ten roster" as opposed to an "ACC roster":

"It was really about making Maryland basketball great again no matter what conference we're in and getting players that fit your system," Turgeon said. "I think I'm almost there. I think you'll really enjoy watching this team this year...I love being in the Big Ten and I love being successful in the Big Ten."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News