ADVERTISEMENT

The departure of Brian Pensky

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
For those who may not have seen it, this was my post on the decision of Brian Pensky to leave Maryland and take the job at Tennessee, posted Friday evening:

Honestly, this is one of those stories where I had to step away from the computer, take a walk around the block, drink the decaf, and think it over more. I am angry and upset about this -- not at Brian Pensky who deserves to go where he will be properly compensated for his worth, which has become considerable. I am upset that one of the nicest guys that I have ever met in sports or anywhere else is leaving us. A really decent, down to earth guy to whom any parent would want to entrust their daughter to play for in college.

I am also upset at what we have become at Maryland: a financial basket case that is cutting non-revenue sports and as a consequence is turning into a stepping stone for coaches to move on elsewhere. I do hope people understand what this means for the future of the non-revenue sports; in this budgetary environment it is only going to get harder to hold onto the really good young coaches at Maryland. Anybody who thinks either wise is drinking the Kool-Aid.

Brian Pensky is a rising young coach in American soccer. He was Soccer America magazine's 2010 National Coach of the Year; living proof that there are teams that can go toe to toe with North Carolina in the ACC and come out on top. It would only have been a matter time before he would have gotten Maryland to the Final Four; a fact that I am certain was not lost on Tennessee.

Keith mentioned in his post on this yesterday that the SEC schools have the $$$, the "bright, shiny facilities", etc. and I have no doubt that played a role in Brian's decision to leave. The simple fact is we used to be able to protect our interests against schools like Tennessee in a sport like Women's Soccer, in no small part because the ACC is still considered from top to bottom the best soccer conference in the nation on both the men's and women's sides. The evidence now would suggest that ACC prominence in soccer is not enough to keep someone like Brian Pensky, here at home. For their part, Tennessee has a pretty good soccer tradition, but they have not made it to the NCAA Tournament the past three years. I have little doubt that Pensky may have been targeted by Tennessee for more than a year.

Meanwhile, Pensky and Maryland just saw a huge senior class finish their eligibility; the cupboard would not have been completely barren, but there is no doubt that he would have been facing a rebuilding project next year, and I have little doubt that was a factor as well.

At the same time, Pensky was a home town guy. He grew up in Montgomery County and his entire coaching career has been in the DC/Baltimore area. In fact, the only time in his life that he lived outside the area was his undergraduate years at Emory in Atlanta. His long time roots in the area was one of his strengths as a coach: he recruited the local area very hard and got the results. After what he built here at Maryland, I find it hard to believe that he suddenly just got tired of living around here.

What jumped off the page of the Tennessee press release was the following: "Pensky led the Terrapins to their most successful three-year run in program history, with a 44-14-9 record and a .724 win percentage over the last three years. Pensky guided Maryland to NCAA Tournament appearances in each of the last three consecutive seasons, including Sweet 16 appearances in both 2009 and 2011."

The 'most successful three-year run in program history', it says. When I read that, I thought of all the other fine coaches this program had previously: April Heinrichs, Alan Kirkup, and Shannon Higgins Cirovski. The record shows that Brian Pensky surpassed them all in his tenure and he managed to do it at a time when there are more Div 1A schools putting more money and effort into this sport and producing more good teams than ever before. The SEC isn't the only conference making a move in this sport. The Big Ten has become a major power and there are a ton of Left Coast schools like Stanford and UCLA that have become a force.

On the matter of whom Maryland will hire to replace Pensky, given the fact that Maryland cannot match what Tennessee has to offer, it is academic as to whom we will be able to attract. Obviously, the rest of the country knows our financial situation. By all rights, the Maryland job should attract top candidates with prior head coaching experience, and under normal circumstances that is what I would expect to see. Again, the ACC affiliation should be more than enough to draw good candidates and there will undoubtedly be very good coaches from mid-majors that would jump at the chance.

One name that comes to mind is Dave Nolan at Georgetown. It was his Hoyas that upset Maryland in the 2010 NCAA Tournament; they went 15-6-0, 8-3-0 Big East this past season. And after all the insanity that is Penn State Athletics, I have to wonder if their fine coach, Erica Walsh, would be interested in making a move. She has a 76-30-5 record over five years in Happy Valley and has been at least 2-and-done in the NCAA's every year except in 2008 when they were 1-and-done. If she is available, she would have to be considered a top candidate. Another more outside possibility might be Glenn Crooks at Rutgers who has made the Sweet 16 twice and has a 121-83-27 record in 11 years. I would have loved to see ex-Terp Leslie Wray (nee' Kerhin) who played under Heinrichs here and had a fine career at Towson, but she just got hired last week at UMBC. She is the wife of another ex-Terp, Sean Wray who played here back in the early 90's. One very interesting possibility might be Katherine Remy Vettori of Loyola. She was an assistant to Shannon Higgins Cirovski here in 99-01 and has done a good job in four years at Loyola, going 42-32-8 and making it to the NCAA Tournament in 2009; they have won the MAAC title three times and have also had the highest team grade point average at Loyola for three of the years she has been there. She was also formerly director of girls soccer programs in Howard County, MD.

I will keep you up to date as matters develop. The simple fact is that whoever gets the job MUST be an ace recruiter simply to survive. The Washington/Baltimore/Northern Virginia area is still one of the great hotbeds of youth soccer talent in America. Brian Pensky did a fine job of mining that talent. He was utterly patient and quietly relentless in how he went about building his program. I am glad to have known him and now am keeping my fingers crossed about the future of this program.

Repercussion of the football debacle

I throw all of this mess towards a pee poor hire with the football program that has been a disaster so far. Add the fact that there was a sizeable Ralph faction that were/still are pissed off with Ralph going and thus the spicket on the well ($$$$) has been turned off to a trickle to Maryland funding. Major pressure on the phootball progam to turn this around or more draconian changes are forthcoming.

Tman.

Agreed on all points: the worst is yet to come...

Let's look at the damage so far:
1) Football essentially is in the tank. They average just 42,000 fans per game last year, but if you take the Opening Day game vs. Miami outa the mix, you are looking at significantly less fans per game. And don't ask about the BC game when the place looked at least two-thirds empty. Is there any reason to believe that between now and next Sept., Edsall will be able to fire up the fan base? I would love it if he could, but I just don't see it happening right now. And the diehards on Premium can go on all they want about Locksley, but his role as Ace Recruiter only helps in the long term; not much he can do now. Takes more than a recently arriving recruiting coordinator to turn around a 2-10 team.

2) We have already lost several non-revenue sports including a Men's Track team that has a long, distinguished history. And their head coach happens to also be the head coach of the US National Team in the Olympics this year: Andrew Valmon.

3) We lose a rising star coach like Brian Pensky in Women's Soccer. I have now heard on good authority that the Athletic Dept. did make an attempt to negotiate but the #'s they were offering weren't even close to what Tennessee has to offer. You think this doesn't send a message to other Maryland coaches?

All of which raises the question: who else are we going to lose? It only makes sense that over the next 2-3 years we see several more head coaches come up for contract negotiation. If Maryland cannot or will not pay market value for their service, then how many of these is Anderson prepared to let go? We all know that Pensky was a diehard local guy; if you can lose him you can lose anybody. And I mean ANYBODY. We have a lot of young, talented, capable, and very bright head coaches here. If holding on to them is not a high priority -- or if they just can't make the counter-offer, regardless of priorities -- then we start to lose people. That's all there is to it.

Right now, Mark Turgeon has become incredibly valuable to this Athletic Dept. -- far more than anyone would have expected a 1st year coach to be, but that is what it amount to; Turgeon is the one paying the bills around here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT