ADVERTISEMENT

Taylor Twellman -retiring (U remember Mike F)

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
I believe Taylor Twellman , Beckett O'Brien and Dan Califf all came into Maryland in the same class under Sasho Cirvoski. It might of been one of Sasho's most heralded frosh classes to ever matriculate at College Park. I remember Mike F. writing an article on these 3 hombres and those 3 were considered one of the biggest coups ever for Sasho and the program. If I'm not mistaken Twellman was the national player of the year in the high school ranks in his senior year. Taylor one of Maryland greats ever in Sasho's reign. He had a great burst, deadly on headers and was a tremendous worker. Jason Herrick kind of reminds me of Taylor Twellman. Same build and strengths to Taylor, maybe not the burst. Taylor also had a tremendous nose for the ball. I believe Taylor stayed at Maryland for 2 years (?) and it was an extra year longer than I believe Sasho though he would stay as this kid had "pro" written all over him. Just a hell of a player. Hard to believe at 30, he's hanging up the cleats. Time marches on.

t.

see Premium Board

I commented on that the other day when someone mentioned it on Premium. The Beckett you are looking for was Hollenbach, yes on Danny Califf, and then Nick Downing. Also right that TT was a prep national POY; in fact both TT and Nick were honored as the national POY's in different polls. One was the Soccer America survey, the other from the NSCAA. The top two players in the country both came here. How many times do you see THAT happen?

TT was also a prep A-A in baseball, turned down an offer from the Kansas City Royals to come to Maryland to play soccer; he was also a scratch golfer; his uncle Jay Delsing was on the PGA Tour. Just an incredible all-around athlete. So yes, he did stay here longer than anticipated. He told that Boston Globe at one point that he would have stayed just the one year but he had promised Sasho two years. It might have helped him had he left after the one year: he went to Germany -- I think it was 1860 Munich but am not sure -- and going when you are already 20 years old adds to the challenge; they have less patience with the somewhat older players.

Not sure I agree on the comparison to Jason Herrick. I think TT had better overall body strength -- one of the main differences between pros and college. I think Herrick has the brain and the skills, probably close to TT in terms of speed. I think TT could have gone at mid or forward whereas I have always seen Herrick as a pure striker.

Re: see Premium Board

Mike... you think that was Sasho's most heralded class? The only class that would rival it would of been the Jeremy Hall, Omar Gonzales, Casey Townsend, Karou Forbess class. These guys were heralded as well but no POY guys , at least not that I can remember.. T.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT