ADVERTISEMENT

Spring Practice Notebook - 3/29

pdonohue

TSR Beat/Recruiting Writer
Staff
Feb 17, 2014
Spring practice was open to the media again Tuesday. Here are some notes and observations:

After having a scrimmage on Saturday, head coach D.J. Durkin and his staff are really starting to get a feel for what they have on this team. The scrimmage was not open to the media, but a source close to the team told me at practice today that the Terps offense was more impressive on Saturday than their defense.
  • Quarterback Perry Hills and wide receiver D.J. Moore were two names that were mentioned as standouts from the scrimmage, but a third name came as somewhat of a surprise. Early enrollee freshman running back Jake Funk has impressed me in the limited practice we've been able to see and I'm clearly not the only one taking notice. Funk played well in the scrimmage and was defined by the team source as "a football player who outworks everyone else on the field." When speaking with reporters after the game, Durkin was asked about Funk and the backfield as a whole, and he also gave praise to the Damascus (Md.) product.
“We have really good depth at that position," Durkin said. "Jake (Funk) is having a really good spring. He’s already asserted himself as a guy that is going to play and help us for sure. But at that position we have several guys that are practicing really well and I like that we have good depth at that position. The guys provide different things, so for different situations or personnel groups I think there is some versatility at that unit.”
  • We've been saying this for a couple of weeks now, but I'm more convinced than ever that Hills is in the driver's seat for the starting quarterback job. The signs were already pointing toward Hills being the guy because of comments that have been made by Durkin, but now that he seems to have stood out in the scrimmage and is part of the newly minted "Champions Club" in College Park, I really think he has started to separate himself. If you haven't yet heard about the Champions Club, see the tweet below and watch the video.

• Hills' best pass of the day came on a streak down the sideline to Moore, who hauled it in effortlessly in stride. It was really windy on the field today, which made the high-arching, accurate throw that much more impressive. Moore has been far and away the best offensive player on the field so far in spring practice and looks to be in for a breakout sophomore season. He has also noticeably put on some bulk from last season and is looking like a true football player.
  • The offense is starting to show more in practice now that the players have had time to learn the playbook and get acclimated. It appears that the offense will rely heavily on screens, hitches and slants that are aimed at getting the ball into playmakers hands and letting them do their thing. The zone-read option from the quarterback is the bread and butter of the offensive attack and the play selection appears to have a nice balance of runs between and outside the tackles.
  • From at least one drill that I can recall, it appeared that the Terps defensive line was getting the best of the offensive line. But after practice Durkin seemed pleased with the progress he has seen from his offensive front and named a couple of guys have stood out to him so far this spring.
“Brendan (Moore) has really stood out," Durkin said. "He competes every day; he’s consistent with what he does. He’s our style of guy, meaning that he is a blue-collar type player. He’s done a very good job. These guys as a unit, as a whole, are starting to gel and mesh. You can see a big difference today compared to our first practice.”

On Damian Prince and Derwin Gray:

“They are both getting better every day. They’ve still got a ways to go, but those guys are extremely talented. When they finally understand what we are trying to do and what we are asking them to do I think that they can be great football players for us. I believe they are both willing and they are taking coaching well.”

• From Durkin's comments after practice and what I can see during drills, it appears the Terps want to create as much versatility along the offensive line as they can. This probably isn't a bad move seeing as how injuries occur all of the time in the trenches and being able to slide certain starters over into different positions can help maintain some chemistry within the unit.
“We’ve been moving guys around a bunch," Durkin said. "I don’t know if there is a guy on the line who has played just one position so far this spring. We’ve moved them all around. We need to find out what we got and they’ve done a good job handling that. I know it’s a little harder to get honed in on one position, but at the end of the day we’ll be better in the long run.”
  • Another area of emphasis for Durkin and his staff has been special teams. I could be mistaken, but I really don't remember seeing as many special teams drills under the old staff as I do with this one. Field goals, kickoffs and punts are all covered and Durkin wants his team to be sound in that facet of the game.
On putting an emphasis on special teams:

“It’s huge," Durkin said. "I obviously have a background in coaching that, but I’ve always believed that’s how you build your team. I believe that you are a selfish player if you’re not helping out on special teams; obviously other than lineman, quarterbacks or guys that don’t fit the build. You see starters competing on special teams too and we’ll continue to do that. That’s where you build your team. It’s a third of the game, so you have to be great at it.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News