ADVERTISEMENT

Setting theTable

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Saw the GT vs Md exhibition game last night with GT winning 1-0 but forget the score, it's what Sasho was doing out there was interesting....

He started one freshmen and it was Marquez Hernandez who's trying to replace Ethan White. He's not going to make anyone forget Ethan White but eventually he may remind people of A J Delagaza. He's quick and tenancious. Not the biggest tool in the shed. He's learning the ropes and was taking directions from Alex Lee and Taylor Kemp during the game.

Helge Leifvang started in Midfield and he's very tenacious and physical. Be interesting if he starts next week. No surprises that Townsend, Mullins and Sunny Jane started. That's a good three some that will keep a lot of back 4's on their heels this year.

First two subs off the bench were Jeremy Raley and the Shinsky kid from York PA. Interesting their games are similiar. Danny Metzger came in and he's going to be a good one for Maryland. A kid that surprised me was Kyle Roach. He's going to be a real good player. He actually reminds me of Ethan White except he plays outside back and is left footed. The kid is very physical.

Real stuff starts this week against Saint Johns

Re: Setting theTable - part 2

Very nice quality win against a very good WVU squad. WVU beat UVA this past friday night and George Genovatch(sp?) , the UVA coach said "West Virginia will be the most athletic team we'll see this year". So for a Maryland team filling holes early in the year, don't sneeze on this win. Come NCAA play off time this will look like a very good win when the NCAA seeds teams.

Would not be surprised if these two teams meet somewhere late November or early December.

t.

Hey TMAN

After two years of waiting I was glad to see that M. Fernandez finally saw some PT. By the way, were you surprised that Saint Cyr was a defender ?

Re: Hey TMAN

With Saint Cyr as a defender ....the answer is "yes". I saw him against Georgetown but he came off the bench. So I was really surprised as he has been starting the regular season. There's been a lot of talk about this kid. I have to see more of him as he only got about 10 minutes against GT in that exhibition game and I didn't get a good feel for his game as Sasho was running kids in and out in that exhibition. I don't think he's as quick as Sunny Jane but hell who is.

Fernandez started at central defender against Georgetown and I thought he was a starter. Obvious Sasho was playing all different combinations in that game. Fernandez looked a little nervous but that's to be expected. He'll be a good player in time especially with Sasho coaching him up.

I can't tell you how impressive that Maryland win was against West Virginia. Trust me on this that the Mountaineers will make a lot of noise in the NCAA. Connecticuit is the favorite in the Big East but the Neers are in the hunt. Last night win was big for this squad. They grew up some last night. What's encouraging is that in both wins over Saint Johns and the Neers, this group came from behind. It's still coming together with this group of course but by the end of the year I still stand by view... If they avoid the injury bug this club can get to the cup. I know everybody is talking about the grad loses and the youth. I'm not buying it. They have the talent. Just stay away from the injuries. For what it's worth I'm not certain anybody in the ACC has a better foursome on the attack with Casey Townsend, Sunny Jane, Patrick Mullins and John Stertzer whose on a tear with 3 goals alread. Not bad for the kid from Oakton Va. You can make the case he's the best player out of Northern Va for Sasho since Abe Thompson (x- WT Woodson star down route 236 in Annandale).

Better news.... I missed the first two games and Sasho's squad wins. Last two years I've gone to both openers and Sasho's gang loses. Don't have me around when your playing craps at Atlantic City :D

This friday is an interesting game. Standford Cardinals come to town and the game is on National TV on Fox Sports. I'll be there. Standford lost their first game. Maryland right now is feeling good about themselves and might be over looking the Cardinals. Hope not. Standford has some terrific young talent. Sahso has his work kut out for him keeping the kids pheat on the ground.

Tman

Re: Hey TMAN & Poly

I gave you guys a plug on the Premium Board in my post for this game. You guys have been awesome with the info and I am telling people to pay attention to what you write. This is great stuff you have here and I don't have much to add to it other than my "I told you so" about Stertzer who I have always liked. They have maybe a bit more depth than I anticipated and if Cirovski doesn't have to rely on freshmen as starters then that shows he has more experience and balance in his starting lineup. This is getting interesting.

Mike - Poly...

U guys are in the will. Thanks for the plug on the other board. Keep the soccer news flowing. I'll be there 2nite for the Standford game. Taping the game as well as I believe the former GT coach is doing the color commentary and he's tremendous.

I like this group that Sasho has.

Don't know if you payed attention to this , but Michgian (the devils that knocked Maryland out last year in the NCAA tourny) have started out 0 - 2 this soccer season. Always nice to see some schools take it on the chin.

Thanks for the plug Mike, I'm printing it out to show to the misses. The little woman tends to think that most of my information is pure horse manure.

By the way, did either of you notice that Geaton Caltabiano ( MSJ ) transferred from George Mason to Loyola Baltimore. Scored his first college goal the other day.
This post was edited on 9/2 4:32 PM by POLY1967

You Are Both Welcome and Deserving...

and more people should be paying attention to all of this in any case, and I wish I had more time to cover it. The Georgetown coach you mention is Keith Tabatznik and he is a great guy and great commentator. He and Dave Johnson are on the call; I have known both of them for nearly 20 years. We were talking before the game tonight, laughing about how long we have been out here doing this. It has become a labor of love for life for all of us, and that includes you guys, the fans, the Crew...the whole scene.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT