ADVERTISEMENT

Rivals150 F, MD Signee Donta Scott talks Terps with TSR

pdonohue

TSR Beat/Recruiting Writer
Staff
Feb 17, 2014
I decided to head into Philly last night to check out Rivals150 forward and Maryland signee Donta Scott, who had himself quite a game in the Class 4A city championship against Monsignor Bonner. It was a great game between two of Philly's best programs. The game went into overtime, but unfortunately Scott's team ended up losing by two.

However, Scott played great and is as good as advertised. He finished the game with a team-high 19 points, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks, and 2 steals. He's got a college ready frame if I've ever seen one and his versatility is special. The 6-foot-7, 195-pounder takes the opening tip for his team and then proceeds to bring the ball up the floor on at least half of his team's possession. He showed the handles and vision to definitely play a little point-forward at the next level if he had to.

What I was most impressed with was Scott's defense. He moves his feet on defense as well as anyone on Maryland's current roster and can cover the 1-5 in HS and most likely the 1-4 at the next level. He has some great low-post moves, but had some bunnies he missed in the first half by not finishing as strongly as he could have. That changed in the second half when he decided to come out a bit more aggressively and got just about everything to fall. He showed off his range with a deep three-pointer in the first half, so that's certainly part of his game too.

All-in-all there's a lot for Terps fans to be excited about here. Great kid, great game, and tremendous upside. If he continues on his current trajectory, he'll not only start/play significant minutes in College Park as a freshman, he'll also be playing in the league at some point.

Check out our postgame interview with Scott below where he talks Terps, including the fact that he might be on campus this weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News