ADVERTISEMENT

Refusing to shake hands? Sticking a hand in the offical's face?

OSUFBL

Junior
Jul 27, 2004
Is it the Terps or the Thugs? Thanks for bringing a lot of class to the Big Ten. Very impressive.

I was happy to see Maryland beat PSU, but no excuse for the pre-game snub. Better to shake hands while telling them you're going to kick their a$$

Understand the handshake snub was because of Penn St running through Maryland pre-game warm-up which pissed the Terp players off.
Is that true ?
If so can't blame Maryland for not putting up with that BS .

Penn State thugs started it in warm ups. Why shake hands with thugs? And #2 for PSU was the biggest thug of all.

Originally posted by ATerp:
Penn State thugs started it in warm ups. Why shake hands with thugs? And #2 for PSU was the biggest thug of all.
A TERP, I have always had respect for your program and its history going back to Coach Bear Bryant and Coach Tatum and Randy White in the 70's.

So I was concerned when I saw the "refusal to shake hands" move at the beginning of the game.

As a Notre Dame fan, I've not had many good things to say about the PSU fans and sometimes even their teams and players over the years, that they played the ND teams.

But there are certain things that I believe need to remain as staples in the sport, and the pre-game hand shake is one of them.
I understand the way that PSU players behaved in the pre-game warm-ups may have been the catalyst for the "dis" on the hand shake by the Maryland captains, but I think your team would have been perceived as the "better" man in the fight, had they ignored those antics and shook hands. If for no other reason, do it for the prestige of your program and in the name of fair play and sportsmanship.

I know those seem a bit "archaic" but its important for things other than, "not letting someone punk you".

I'm glad that Coach Edsall issued and apology , which tells me he will address this with the players moving forward.

Again, not judging and in fact, I even understand why they refused to shake the PSU players hands after the way they treated them. GOOD FOR THEM and Congrats on the win !!!

Nicely said however

I was at the game and it was the MD players that ran into the PSU players and confronted them as they entered the field. Why some teams think they have to enter the stadium as the home team is entering and being cheered by the home fans is beyond me. That never used to happen. OSU did the same thing last week but did not run over to the PSU players and try to confront them like MD did. As for Edsall, maybe he should apologize for not shaking Franklin's hand after the game. He left Franklin out on the field looking for him. As for the game, it was two mediocre teams slugging it out. One of them had too lose.

Any benefit of the doubt goes to MD. The B1G is lucky to have Maryland. Get Franklin and the cult under control, questionable judgement is their forte.

I'm not saying refusing to shake hands was right, just that it wasn't some random attempt to look bad on TV. I know Edsall must have hated it because that's not his style. I doubt you'll see that happen again. Should make things interesting when PSU and Maryland play next year in Baltimore.

Re: Nicely said however

I was there too and that's not how I saw it. Since you were at the game, explain to me why the Penn State fans kept booing our injured players. Was it because the hand shake thing? Sounds like a lack of class all around. I did meet some nice PSU fans during tailgating however so your fans aren't all bad.
wink.r191677.gif

The boos resulted as the injury timeout occurred during an effective "hurry up" drive. That reaction probably happened in every stadium (college or pro) when home team runs a "hurry up" offense. It would not be the first time an injury was faked (or a player told to stay down) to slow down an offense. Not saying it was an appropriate reaction, but it happens.

Congrats on a nice comeback to pull out the win. See you next year in MD.

This post was edited on 11/2 8:43 AM by lionfan83

And the "injury" occurred away from the play with no apparent contact. Even the TV announcers pointed it out.

Reactions: UconNell
As a MD alum it is embarassing to think that we have supplanted OSU as the dirtballs of the B1G.

A few years ago my son , a James Madison student, attended an early season game in College Park vs the Dukes. On the way in to the game, he and his girlfriend were abused with a series of profanity laced heckles. MD ended up winning in OT (what else would you expected from the vaunted MD football machine), which meant a much quieter walk back from the game for my son.

Seems like the football "culture" problem lies below the Mason-Dixon Line.

This post was edited on 11/2 9:58 AM by dtrainers

Between the acts at Rutgers and Maryland's on field actions, it is an embarrassment to the B1G. It's your very first year and this is what takes place. If you do not think it matters than how the hell is it all over the news and even GMA. You play with class. Is that so difficult? Michigan looked like a bunch of idiots as well last week with the stake.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

In the grand scheme of things, 3 rogue players refusing to shake hands for whatever reason is pretty minor. They each got a 5 yard penalty cumulatively applied at the start of the game, so PSU got an advantage right out of the gate. They just didn't take advantage of their advantage. I'm sure Randy Edsall will discipline those guys for what they did. A minor infraction like that usually gets a couple of game suspension. Would that make Penn Staters happy?

absolute delusional bullcrap.i was at the game as several Maryland

Players headed straight for PEnn State players and well out of their way..I said oh oh here we go.Then they taunted while most players from Penn State ignored them. Classless and reminded me of the old MIami Hurricans and their obsess lack of discipline.

3 alleged "leaders" of the team, not just 3 rogue players. MD and Rutgers have now established themselves as classless, both on and off the field. One narrow win against a deeply depleted team is really nothing to gloat about, and will most likely prove to be a mere pot hole in the long road ahead.

Funny, I've traveled to to see games in Wisc, Neb, Mich and Alabama and I've never seen even a hint of this kind of behavior, on the field or in the parking lot. All are worthy rivals and all are class acts.

Re: absolute delusional bullcrap.i was at the game as several Maryland

Yeah, right. It was totally one way. You're such a homer.

all of the Maryland fans I welcomed were nice and reasonable.Not you!

Gee there was no reason national tv covered all pre game antics by Md. and so many apologies by Md. People.

The irony of a Penn State fan lecturing Maryland fans about being classy. Hypocritical to the extreme.

Maryland got the penalty in that situation, and having been at the game, believe me they earned it. Your statement is a flat out lie, or at the very least made from ignorance of what took place.

I LOVE the brewing rivalry here! While Iowa and Nebraska may have a brewing rivalry, I think fans of both fanbases are much more civil with one another by comparison, much like Cubs vs. Cardinals. It looks to me like MD and PSU fans are going to be at each other's throats for years to come! Can't wait to see next year's game at M&T Bank Stadium! At the rate y'all are going, you may need the additional capacity of a place like FedEx Field to hold this brewing fracas! You guys are gonna be good for the B1G on the field yet!
laugh.r191677.gif

PSU captains are pedophile supporters? I didn't know that.

Here's a thought...next time you want to call them that, try doing it to their faces, instead of hiding in your mom's basement. See how that works out for you.

This post was edited on 11/3 2:07 PM by mean15

Reactions: Shot of Espresso
Irony?

Yes, because we did and fully support what you meant by that comment. Riiiiigggghhhttt...

What are you talking about?

It's some crazies on a message board - not indicative of the program's thoughts

Re: absolute delusional bullcrap.i was at the game as several Maryland

Based on the fines and suspensions handed down by the B1G head office today, are we still debating where the fault lies?

Re: all of the Maryland fans I welcomed were nice and reasonable.Not you!

Reasonable? All these PSU fans comiing and and bitching at Maryland fans about something we had no control over. So one Terp fan decides to respond and I'm unreasonable. Yeesh. Give it a break.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT