ADVERTISEMENT

Post 6000 - Memories of Maryland (very long)

terpaddict

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 28, 2001
Newnan, GA
Born in Arlington and living in Falls Church, I turned seven when Maryland won the football national championship in 1953. I was not aware of that major accomplishment until later. In 1961 I attended my first and only game in College Park. The Terps beat Penn State (17-13, I think. Or was it 20-17?)
Back then, there were only five bowl games - the four on New Year's and the Gator Bowl. Maryland was the frontrunner for the Gator, but the instruction was clear - they wanted an 8-2 record, not a 7-3. Regrettably, Maryland lost the finale to Virginia and Penn State went to the Gator.

We moved to Atlanta in 1962. My father had attended Ga. Tech and they were the local team, so I followed them to some extent. After graduating from college (Georgia State) in 1968, I was back in the DC area for my first job. When I learned that the state scoring leader in Virginia played at my old high school (J.E.B. Stuart), I went out to see Jim O'Brien play several times.

Just before I left the area, Maryland hired Lefty Driesell to coach basketball, and one of his early actions was to take out a full page ad in the newspaper asking five standout high school players to come to Maryland. Jim O'Brien accepted the offer, and I was curious to see how the high school star would fare in college.

The next year the lefthander signed Elmore and McMillen, and the Terps were off to national prominence in the 70s. My enthusiasm was growing, but it was not until the 79-80 season that the real addiction began. That was when I discovered I could pick up the WMAL broadcasts in Atlanta.

Many have vivid memories of the "Buck was fouled" ACCT championship game in 1980, but let me throw in something I've shared here before. Because several schools (probably including Maryland) had complained about ACC refs showing bias toward NC teams, the ACC obtained crews from the old Southwest Conference to work the ACCT. So it was one of those misfits who chose to ignore Kenny Dennard depositing Buck Williams at his feet. I'm not sure I slept that night. I suppose that's when I started disliking Duke. And losing to Georgetown in the NCAAs two weeks later didn't help.

I met Lefty the next year when Maryland visited Georgia Tech. He signed my copy of the Sporting News in which they made the Terps their #1 preseason pick. I barely knew the coach, but the letters I received from him made it appear we were closer than that. He was very gracious, and I regret not reaching out to him and Joyce when they were in Atlanta.

Similarly, I met Johnny Holliday when the team was in town in the early 80s, and he, too, was very kind to me. However, the Maryland person I talked to the most was Lefty's assistant Mel Cartwright. I think we met for the first time in Birmingham when I thanked him for the tickets to the Alabama game (which Maryland won).

With Lefty's departure in 1986, I tried to switch my allegiance to another school, but the addiction was too strong. Probation was a bummer, but Gary Williams brought (to borrow a phrase) triumph out of tragedy. Ralph Friedgen was a great success to start in FB, and Maryland was a major player again. I went to the Peach Bowl when the Terps clobbered Tennessee, so I'm one of the few fans who has never seen Maryland lose a FB game.

I forgot to mention the greatest BB shot (not the most significant) in all my years, so I'll close with that. It was the final regular season game of 81-82. King, Manning, Graham, and Williams had all left the program, and the Terps were led by freshman Adrian Branch. It was Branch who sank a 17-18 footer at the buzzer of OT to edge Virginia (who may have been #1 at the time) by one. But that's not the shot I'm referring to.

Maryland missed a game-winning shot at the end of regulation and fouled with one second left. Make or miss the first try, all the UVA player had to do was miss the second attempt and the clock would have expired. He missed the first try, but made the second. Maryland threw the ball all the way to the foul line on their end. Herman Veal leaped to catch the ball, flung it at the basket while still in the air, and watched it bounce around the rim before dropping in. I shrieked in joy and my dear wife came into the room and inquired if I were having a basketball orgasm.

That was almost 20 years before I became involved with Maryland fans on the internet. I've only met three of you in person, but it seems like I know quite a few more because of our exchanges. You've been kind to me, and I wish you well in all that you do.

Blessings,

Chuck Cleveland

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News