ADVERTISEMENT

On Jordan Scott

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
This one is going to be very interesting as it comes down to the wire.

The Terps were very late to the game with Jordan Scott early on, as all of the early talk between the Terps and Scott was basically being facilitated by Jimmy Patsos.

From my viewings of the kid, there has never been a shred of doubt in my mind he will eventually be a high major starter and plus contributor. He's got the height, length, shooting stroke and defensive intensity you look for. Those things have never been in doubt. With all of that said, many have worried about his slender frame and the fact that he played public school ball and plays for a lower profile AAU team. He is also an unselfish, team player that stays within himself and doesn't necessarily take over games often.

Izzo was all over Scott early on and all of the buzz for much of his recruitment surrounded Sparty. He has been out to East Lansing unofficially and Izzo has visited him in Virginia multiple times, including dinner with Grandma during the spring.

But I don't need to tell you guys that Maryland has an ace up their sleeve in his mom, Christy, who starred at Maryland. The Terps have really turned up the heat with Jordan during the live evaluation periods and are now one of three finalists along with Michigan State and Virginia Tech. Early on there was some worry that G'town could become a major player with his sister playing for the women's team, but they didn't make the cut.

Maryland was three deep for Jordan at the start of yesterday's live period outside of Atlanta, really showing Scott that he is a top priority and someone they really want. That said, Michigan State was there in the evening to watch him with no coaches from either of the other finalists.

The other big news is obviously that he has locked in a date for his Maryland official visit but had yet to lock in a date to East Lansing. This seems like a huge advantage for the Terps as of now and gives Willard a chance to close this one out in early September while he's on campus.

With all of that said, I think this is really coming down to a Terps-Sparty battle with Virginia Tech probably on the outside looking in despite being in his top 3. While Michigan State had all the early momentum I think the Terps have basically pulled even and at this point I might even call them the leaders as of today. The fact that he's locked in his official visit to Maryland and the Terps were three deep to open this live period says that he is a top priority and the feeling is mutual. I can tell you guys from talking to Christy early on, while she was never going to push Maryland, her and her husband would both absolutely love to see him in a Terps uniform and playing close to home. And Jordan certainly seemed receptive of being recruited by Maryland, they simply needed to turn up the heat. Now that that has happened and we are heading down the home stretch, I think the Terps are the best positioned of the three.

As for Scott's recruitment and some of the questions coaches/scouts have had, it reminds me a bit of current NBA player Bones Hyland, who also played on the UA circuit with WER1. He was a very good, extremely productive player, but many coaches felt he was undersized and much too slender/weak to really star at the P5 level. He was your classic late bloomer who ended up at VCU, starred there for a couple of seasons and now is a productive player in the NBA. Scott has a similar build and like Hyland, does most of his damage as a spot-up shooter. Hyland was probably better at creating for himself off the dribble, but Scott is now 6-foot-7 and has started to fill out some. Both with pretty good vision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News