ADVERTISEMENT

Not Good News TMAN ... Mike Gamble

POLY1967

Junior
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Commits to Wake Forest

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bs-va-sp-gamble-signing-1111-20101110,0,1965989.story

Sasho's recruiting put it in perspective...

Gary or the Fridge lose a top recruit and our fans collectively crap in their pants; Sasho loses a recruit and nobody says anything because not many know and even fewer care. Outside of the close-knit soccer community most people never follow the recruiting of soccer prep A-A's -- just all five us here on this message board. Plus, if you have won recent NT's, nobody cares about the internal dynamics of your program, nor do they care who wears your uniform.

Our soccer fans know Sasho had NT's in 2005 and 2008. OK, great, how many fans remember even half of the starting lineups? How many remember there wouldn't have been an NT in 2005 if Chris Seitz hadn't won a PK shoot-out against the Akron Zips? How many remember the name of our one and so far only Hermann Award winner, Jason Garey?

If a Maryland Men's Soccer player goes on to MLS and/or the national team, they are remembered: Maurice Edu, Taylor Twellman, etc. OK, so how many people remember former prep A-A Eric Brunner who was here for two years, transfers to Ohio State, becomes a collegiate All-American, takes the Buckeyes to the national title game in 2007 (they lost to Wake Forest) and is now in MLS? I promise you this, if Gary had a former prep A-A who transfered out, becomes a star at another school, and goes on to the pros, some of our fans would never forgive him for it. They would still be bringing it up on the Premium Board today, just like some of them still spew about Rudy Gay, et al. Sasho's fans don't even know or care that Brunner was ever in a Maryland uniform because we reporters never told them about it. We look the other way.

Which brings up the matter of 'what have you done for me lately'. Gary's NT was in 2002; Sasho's were in 2005 & 2008. So Sasho still walks on water; Gary gets bashed if he loses two games in a row. Brenda's title was in 2006 and even she is feeling some heat because they haven't been back to a FF since. The fact that she has been to the tournament 7 of 11 years including the title year, doesn't seem to matter to people who think that by way of sheer talent she should be in the Final Four every year. Sasho missed the Final Four last year: did anybody say anthing? No and they didn't in 2007 when Brunner was taking Ohio State there.

And does anyone remember how the 2007 season ended for Maryland? Does the name Bradley ring a bell? The infamous NCAA Tournament game where the Terps blow a 2-goal lead with 2 minutes and change left in regulation and then lose it in OT? How many times is Sasho reminded of that? Not by me; not by other reporters and sure as hell not on discussion sites like BigSoccer.com by the fans. Nobody remembers because the press doesn't bring it up. Again, what would happen if Gary lost a postseason game in similar fashion?

Non-revenue sport coaches simply do NOT ever have to face the recruiting pressures that the revenue sport coaches have to put up with on a year round basis. And they sure as hell do not have to face reporters who bring up subjects like Brunner -- or for that matter, Matt Beckman, Jon Ports, Keith Vereb and others who departed -- or Steve Campbell, Mike Bristol, and other uncomfortable subjects. That is the way it is. I have observed this for the more than 20 years I have covered Maryland Men's Soccer...and Field Hockey and Women's Lacrosse and and and...and its not likely to change. All the pressure comes from within very specific sport communities where everybody knows each other -- considerable pressure up to a point, but nothing like what we see in the revenue sports.

Over on the Premium Board today, they have spent no less than three pages on a non-conference game -- just the 2nd game of the regular season -- a near upset by a mid-major, the College of Charleston -- a near meaningless game that will be forgotten by February.

This post was edited on 11/11 12:21 PM by Fekula

Slow Down Mike ....

The only reason I posted the message was because TMAN and I were discussing Gamble, Harris and Robinson in an earlier post, and were wondering about their college destinations.

This was not a knock at Sasho for losing a rectruit, but rather an FYI for TMAN, Because as you have noted, looked at the number of views for the post ( less than 10 ) . That's probably the number of people who are aware this board exists.

I think the 2005 Champs featured; Seitz, Della Russo, Dellagarza, Edu, Birch, Rogers ( if he had returned they would have repeated ), Gary, Zusi and my memory fails at this point. I don't think Marchione or Beckman played.

Not criticizing you

POLY, you are one of the people who 'get it' who do understand the situation. What I had in mind are people in the non-rev sports world who always complain that their favorite sport doesn't get the recognition it deserves. My response: be careful what you ask for, you might get it.

The point is that with greater popularity comes greater scrutiny. Non-rev people just seem to take it for granted that with greater public attention comes so many blessings. Sure, we could all see benefits from the greater revenue, plus, it says here that the star athletes in soccer deserve to be considered among the greatest athletes we have ever had here at Maryland in ANY sport. But...one of the things that automatically will get greater scrutiny is the recruiting process -- to the point of absurdity. Non-rev people have been spared of that up to this point.

You pay the price when you get to that level. A coach can't complain the press has been unfair to them when so many problems fly under the radar screen. Happens all the time in non-rev.

Hey Poly - Mike Interesting on Gamble

My 2cents on the kid going to Wake was "instant PT". Wake is a very respected program and the kid starts probaly for them on day 1. Maryland does lose Harrick but anyone that has seen Maryland play this year knows Sasho has Patrick Mullins (MR Rook of the year) probably penciled in for Harrick's spot. Something tells me Casey Townsend will be back next year also but if he has a big tourny then all bets are off for Casey being back. And lets not forget the "light switch" , a nick name I've given the kid. Mr Electric - Sunny Jane. Sasho might be using him up front.

I have to say that when I saw Md take on Wake this year , Wake had no one up front that looked scary. Wake is very young. Gamble probably saw the same thing (mucho minutes).

Though losing Gamble isn't great news still Sasho is deadly on the recruiting trail. The focus now goes on Malcom Harris and Robinson.
This post was edited on 11/12 7:48 PM by TMAN

Just kidding Mike

I love the non revenue sports. If not for people like you, TMAN, terplax, and terpbaseball, malsred ( for wrestling ) I probably would have dropped off this site long ago.

Keep up the good work, always look at your work on line and on print. Meanwhile, I think I'll put a lacrosse comment on the main board to see how many look at it, and if any one responds.

Re: I love the "Non-rev's"

Thanks God for these teams and their winning traditions. Makes me proud.Many kids want to go away to play and don't want to sit a year or two. I can understand Sasho missing on this one. He just keeps on reloading. Pretty amazing really. With the mediocrity of the men's rev's, these other teams are a breath of fresh air. I'll never understand the lack of student interest.A big thank you Mike for your posts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT