ADVERTISEMENT

More than an Exhibition - El Salvador

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
An Olympic world cup qualifier exemplified the atmosphere today at the Germantown Maryland sports complex on this glorious day in March. Sometimes someone gets it right with soccer. If this was Sasho Cirvoski’s idea of getting El Salvadore’s U23 team on the same pitch with his top 5 Maryland terrapins team, well Sasho is a genius. I’m a good 45 minutes away from the sports complex (down the beltway) so I figure that I’d leave at 1 o’clock or there abouts and have plenty of time to get there. Wrong. The passion of the El Salvador’s fans for their beloved “La Azulita” stunned me as I was caught in 2 miles in traffic getting to the complex. I’m saying to myself , man I miss guessed this one today Tman. I’m saying to myself how the H am I going to get to the game in time as I worried about getting a ticket. I finally found a parking place about a half a mile away as the crowd was locust thick going to the gate for tickets. As I saw the field from the steel bars looking in I could see that getting a seat is about a silly an idea as a thirty man in the Sahara needing a sun lamp . I got in line and was relieved to get my ticket thinking I would be turned away via a sellout. I said to myself that the Maryland AD , Kevin Anderson needs to be out there to see this. If they held this event at Byrd Stadium I swear they would of sold the place out with 55,000 fans coming there easily. Talk about cleaning up the budget deficit out there at Maryland. Well at least Sasho was the visionary in this in getting his team some unbelievable experience in a bellicose environment. Make no mistake that I the gringo was the minority in this cornucopia of blue and white colors of the 15 thousand El Salvadoran fans. The Mariachis band was playing in one corner, the chants and waving the El Salvador flags were flying in the other corners of the fields. The droning sound tom toms with whistles cut the air with excitement.

There may not of been five words of English spoken in the venue today and you know what if I had my wifes big mixing spoon with me I would of stuck the spoon out , scooped at the air and made like drinking this elixir of soccer vermouth to satisfy my senses. You had the El Salvador flag on one flag pole at the end of the field and you had the USA flag on the the other Flag pole. Both team marched out with the refs side by side with each other as the FIFA traditional opening was song playing in the background. I said dam , it doesn’t get better than this. Where I stood and yes I stood for the whole match as I was fortunate to get a spot against the rail, the teams were introduced. The El Salvador crowd went delirious as stars like Jaime Alas, who plays for Salvadoran club L.A. Firpo, Lester Blanco (Isidro Metapan), Xavier Garcia (L.A. Firpo), and Isidro Gutierrez (C.D. Aguila) were on the team and marching to the FIFA entrance song. Several El Salvador fans wearing blue and white wigs swayed arm in arm singing their club songs. The El Salvador crowd flashed their cameras as the players came on to the pitch. With this group we can say this isn’t your road side jockeys ranch. No we’re talking about some of Copa America’s finest young talent. I had keen interest of course on the Maryland kids and had a heck of hard time seeing them from a distance. But the eyes focused and this is what this scribe saw today as Sashso rolled out the following terps out to meet the challenge.

Keith Cardona at goal.

Taylor Kemp, London Woodberry, Kyle Roach and Wydner Saint Cyr for you back line.

Midfield consisted of Jeremy Raley, John Stertzer, Dan Metzger and Helge Leikvang

Forwards consisted of Jordan Cyrus and Patrick Mullins.

The only surprised to me was no Sunny Jane. Maryland played an exhibition game on Friday night and beat Virginia Commonwealth 2 -1. Jane could have been nicked and thus held out. Or it’s an exhibition game and Sasho was tinkering with the midfield as this is the time to tinker.

I said to myself this is going to be one hell of an atmosphere for these Maryland kids. Hell the organizers even had the an announcer from Univision there interviewing fans with the cameras rolling. Plus several dignataries were there and being introduced. I was saying to myself maybe Ricky Martinn might be singing Living La Vida Loca. Yea, this was big tyme.

The match started out cautiously and I was curious how Maryland back four would hold up. I’ll say this for 3 quarters of the match, the Maryland kids did very well as John Stertzer and Patrick Mullins put together a nice one two in the El Salvador end. Lo and Behold Dan Metzer (I think) slipped a pass in the El Salvador side and there was confusion with bodies scattering about. Lo and behold John Stertzer gathered the ball and snuck the ball in and dam , it’s 1 ? 0 Maryland and the cat calls came about. Stertzer put a hand to his ear to hear the crowd and the El Salvador fans cursed him and the salute of the “polish salute” finger also was showed Stertzer to the El Salvador fans rage. Ahh the luv of the international soccer crowed. Got to admit I was luving it.

At the 10: 00 minute mark I believe star player Jamia Alias was fouled. The El Salvador player had a twenty five yard shot. Well, I said to myself there’s no way they’ll score from this far out. Glad I’m not a bettor . The El Salvador player but a laser in the top half of the net and it was notted 1-1. All tied up.

At the 24 minute mark El Salvador star forward Blanco got loose on a give and go and put the ball into the corner of the left post and it was 2 ? 1. The El Salvador crowd then started the wave and I was wondering how the Maryland kids would respond. Well dam if they did respond 5 minutes later as a Maryland player was taken down in the box. The crowd started to whistle as John Stertzer lined it up for the PK. The kick went off but the El Salvador goalie made a nice stop and the crowd went into a hissy phit.

In the second half El Salvador scored again on a angle shot and it was 3-1 and the Maryland kids were running out of gas a little and the El Salvador team started to play keep away as Maryland had to chase. The chants of Ole were ringing through out.

Ok….now some observations on the Maryland kids…

For Maryland…. Got to start with Taylor Kemp. The kid is a pro and he broke some El Salvador midfielder’s ankles on some nice runs up the middle. I can tell you right now this kid will be first team All American for Maryland this year. He’s got a sweet left foot for curling passes in the box and plays with so much savy. He’s a pro. Will be a first round pick in the MLS. Maryland is dam lucky he came back.

John Stertzer ? typical Stertzer game. He uses his body and strength to make dangerous runs and the El Salvador midfield had a hard time with him. He scored a goal and that’s one for the books. This was no simp and the gimp group he scored against.

Patrick Mullins - Strong game by Mullins. He will be a tower of strength for Maryland and most teams that Maryland face will have a hard time handling his gile and strength and technical skill. The El Salvador defenders on one run bounced off him like they were ping pong balls.

Jordan Cyrus ? Sasho gave him the start up front in the early going to help solve the puzzle with the graduation of Casey Townsend. Cyrus has strength and a good gear. I think the key with Cyrus is for him not to put pressure on himself that he has to do everything that Casey did. Once he lets the game come to him he will be fine and he will get numerous chances. He has very good strength via his lower legs to hold off the defender to turn and shoot.

The holding mids - Helge Leikvang and Dan Metzger. Leikvang plays his role to a fiddle. Tough kid, seeks the ball like a pit bull going for a piece of Kobe beef. Fun to see this tall Norwegians flailing those arms and legs in holding off the offensive threats coming down the middle.

Dan Metgzer ? had his hands full with the El Salvador attack down the middle. The times he got the ball he repaid them with some nifty runs and slicing passes connecting to the Maryland forwards. A good solid game for the New Jersey kid.

Kyle Roach ? partner for London Woodberry in the central defense. He played a good game and IMO is the lead candidate to start inside with Woodberry. He got tangled up one time on one of the El Salvador goals but can’t hang it all on Roach. I like Roach’s tough game and I’ve said this before about Roach that his game reminds me of Ethan Whites game. Tough New Jersey kid who only needs more experience. He’s going to be a good one.

Wydner Saint Cyr ? occupied the right side and he held his ground against the El Salvador attack. El Salvador attack was interesting that they would go down the middle and didn’t swing the ball to the right side. So Saint Cyr wasn’t testing too much. For Maryland, he’s going to be a lethal part of the offensive attack when it comes to ACC play come September.

These were some of the touchy feely things from the South American atmosphere on this glorious day on March 11, 2012. What show, Sasho’s boys did themselves well. Looking for some highlights on Telemundo tonight. This is one to bottle up until September comes.

Tman.

Monster Post!

And it is taking me days (between exams) to ponder it. I honestly don't know why they play games at the Soccerplex unless it is because the Monty County soccer crowd guarantees a crowd. Hmmm....Frankly, the Salvadoreans in this area are quite adjusted to RFK and the traffic is a lot better going in and out so why not play there?

Fascinating backline. Kemp and Woodberry are no-brainers but Roach and Saint Cyr? THAT is a Cirovski experiment. Do you think they are just place holders until the freshmen arrive in the fall, or could they really play there?

The midfield looks more, well, normal: Raley, Stertzer, Metger, and Leikvang could be a realistic starting group albeit Leikvang can go almost anywhere. Agreed on Sunny Jane not starting, as in, why? I hope this is just an experiment and not some problem. The more I think about it the more it seems a lot is expected of Mullins this year. He has to get it done. Metzger could really make a statement, but Mullins has to be the Man.

Thanks much again for all this.

Re: Monster Post!

On Sunny Jane,...the word is he got a 'knock' in practice and was held out as a precaution. So everything is good there.

On the venue, don't have an answer there but if they played this game at Byrd or even RFC, they could of drawn thirty thousand easily. This was one of the top 5 atmosphere's for a soccer game that I've ever attended and make no mistake the Maryland kids were the 'villians' in this. An unbelieveable teaching tool for this Maryland squad going against some world class players. Not too much this Maryland team will face leading towards the season.

On the backline.... I like Roach a lot and I had him penciled in somewhere after seeing him last year. As I stated he got tangled up once, lost his balance and the El Savador broke through and the next series of circumstances, they scored. Shortly after Sasho subsituted Roach for the Fernnadez kid. I wouldn't read too much in this observation though. As you stated Sahso experimenting. With Saint Cyr, he was solid on Sunday. Didn't take too many chances (which was good) and played within himself. He played the right back last year up until the 2nd half the Clemson game and then he wasn't found on the field due to an injury. Still Sasho has two talented backline players (Dakota Edwards and Mike Ambrose) who are going to get "loooonnnnggg looks" in the back line. The one chink in the armour the last two years IMO has been the back line. Sahso has been recruiting to no end with what he's got coming in the 2012 and 2013 classes. So the future is bright there , just a little young.

Another set of eyes saw Alex shinsky get into the field and played well. I missed his play (shame on me) as I was focused on another kid who I couldn't figure out who the heck he was. Well it's Donovan Fraser who got time (striker from NY) whose in the 2012 class and is an early enrolle. Frase did well as to be expected in this big time atmosphere. Thus my fixation on Fraser so much that I missed the moments with Shinsky. At least Shinsky played and he's a key piece to this team. With Leikvang, yea I agree he can play anywhere. Sasho had him at holding mid and I like him there the best , truth be told.

Next games up for me possibly Saint Johns and Delaware.

t.
This post was edited on 3/14 1:56 PM by TMAN

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT