ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland Pro Day Notebook

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Maryland held it's annual Pro Day Wednesday on a pretty gorgeous, albeit a little windy, Wednesday afternoon in Byrd Stadium. In all, 11 Terps participated, including Brad Craddock, Sean Davis, A.J. Hendy, Quinton Jefferson, Yannick Ngakoue, Anthony Nixon, Brandon Ross, Avery Thompson and Andrew Zeller from this past year's team. They were joined by former Terps Daniel Adams and Keith Bowers.

NFL Terps Stefon Diggs and Dexter McDougle were also in attendance yesterday, showing support for their former teammates. Former D-lineman Andre Monroe was also in attendance, a favorite for once showing up to an availability with a McDonald's bag, the Terps all-time sack leader spent last season in the CFL with the Toronto Argonauts.

- A.J. Hendy pulled a hamstring while doing some warming up and was unable to finish all of the drills.

In all, 28 of 32 NFL teams were represented Wednesday in College Park.

• One notable scout in attendance was Joey Porter of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Porter put Ngakoue and Thompson through agility drills, but more significantly, was seen spending time speaking with Pittsburgh native Quinton Jefferson at the conclusion of workouts. Jefferson had a strong day and with his size and versatility is one of the Terps most likely to get drafted next month along with Sean Davis and Yannick Ngakoue.
"I just have one (visit) planned and that's with the Pittsburgh Steelers," Jefferson said.

"Something like that is crazy, I'm from Pittsburgh," Jefferson said of meeting Porter. "I was a Steelers fan growing up and I watched Joey Porter, so something like that is surreal right now. I'm living the dream right now."

• Yannick Ngakoue, who was at the combine and is projected to get drafted, seems to have the most interest at this point. He has visits lined up with the Jets, Jags, Eagles and Titans. Ngakoue did linebacker drills, catching passes as well as d-line drills with tackling dummies. Ngakoue was one of the top pass rushers in the nation last season but projects as a bit of a tweener at the next level. He was asked about whether he sees himself as being used as a rush end or a 3-4 linebacker.
"It really just depends on who drafts me and what scheme I'm in," said Ngakoue. "I feel like I'll be used in numerous ways with my hand in the dirt and standing up as well. It doesn't matter, I love both."

• Sean Davis is another versatile Terp at defensive back, getting looks at both cornerback and safety. Davis played in the Reese's Senior Bowl and was also at the combine. Davis didn't want to name any teams that he's been talking to, but he said he has several more meetings and workouts lined up. He also said that he expects to come off the board early once the draft starts. He talked about his versatility heading into next month's draft.
"That's pretty mixed," said Davis. "Obviously all of the teams know I can play safety, I did that for three years and started for three years. But a lot of teams like me at corner. I definitely know I can play corner, I have the quickness and speed to play corner compared to the other DBs out there. Everyone knows I'm just raw at it, I only have one year under my belt. But with the right tools, I feel like I can be a top corner."

wkcap2qt29xrgsw5gpwb

Sean Davis speaking with a scout from the San Diego Chargers

• Kicker Brad Craddock was also a combine invite. He kicked for scouts towards the end of the session, saying he pretty much sat around waiting for an hour or so. With the XP having been moved back this past season, kicking is at a premium in the NFL. Craddock hasn't had any visits with any teams yet but is hopeful he will soon. Kickoffs is an area he has been working to improve and he thought his kickoffs were as good as they have been on Wednesday. At the very least, Craddock is likely to get a look from the Ravens. Craddock has continued to workout with former Raven Matt Stover and said he was going to call him as soon as he finished speaking with us.
  • Brandon Ross also worked out for scouts. Ross had an up and down career at Maryland but finished on a high note with a record-setting day against Rutgers. Ross said he met with 8-10 teams during the day and will likely be at the Ravens local day. He caught the ball well during drills and talked about the importance of that as he looks to catch on with a team.
"Since this season at Maryland, I didn't really have the opportunity to do too much catching out of the backfield," said Ross. "So that's definitely something I wanted to show and improve today like my ball skills, catching out of the backfield, lining up in the slot, all of those things. So the more you can do, the more useful you are to a team."

• Offensive lineman Andrew Zeller is another Terp that used the Pro Day to show his skills to scouts as he wasn't invited to the combine. He too is looking to participate in the Ravens local day coming up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News