ADVERTISEMENT

M-Soccer vs. Penn State

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Hard to read the Nittany Lions. These guys have talent but oh boy do they blow hot and cold. Their record is now 14-7-1 after they hammered ODU 4-1 in the 2nd round -- their first game after getting hammered by Michigan by an identical 4-1 score in the Big 10 tournament final. And in the previous game, the conference semis, the beat the traditional power Indiana 2-1.

Looking back over their regular season, the 2-1 OT loss to Akron was no disgrace, but you wonder about an 2-1 OT loss to UMBC: isn't the Big10 supposed to get better talent than the likes of UMBC? And that game was in late October.

OK, so they have a bigtime scorer in Corey Hertzog (20 goals, 6 assists) and a playmaker in Matheus Braga (5 goals, 17 assists). After that they have Tyler Jordan (5 goals, 3 assists) and then nobody else with more than 3 goals on the season. They don't spread it around much. The aforementioned players are the ones who are going to create the offense and that's it. They have allowed 29 goals in 22 games (having scored 45 goals) so they are essentially outscoring their own defense. Compare that to Maryland outscoring their opponents 58-12. I note the fact that they have two goalies that have played a lot: Brendan Birmingham with 13 starts, and Warren Gross with 9 starts, with Birmingham having taken over just before midseason, so they may still have some issues there.

That said, I don't recall anyone having accused PSU Coach Bob Warming of being tactically conservative and I wouldn't expect him to play that way now. He had a long, distinguished career, mostly at Creighton with stops at St. Louis and ODU before arriving at Happy Valley. He has always been able to recruit, but didn't get his current job until May of this year, so he has been able to win with people already in the program when Barry Gorman resigned.

PSU may not have the talent that Maryland has, but we have seen this movie before. I expect a good game.

This post was edited on 11/23 12:59 PM by Fekula

Interesting Sidebar.....

Doesn't Alex Lee's brother play for Penn State. Thanksgiving dinner should be interesting at their house.

Re: Interesting Sidebar.....

Indeed, Justin Lee, junior defender, has started all 22 games.

Re: Interesting Sidebar.....

It will be interesting to see what type of crowd they have out there being Thanksgiving weekend.

Penn State and Maryland have some history between the two schools so it should be a good match. Have to figure Md has to feel confident as they took the Nits out of the tourny last year by beating them in their place. Now the Nits have to come here.

I also have to admit that on the other side of the bracket I'd like to see Michigan advance over South Carolina.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT