ADVERTISEMENT

Lax: Game 3 Breakdown

sturdy4

All-Big Ten
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
What a comeback! The first half was brutal on the defensive end and at the faceoff but the second half was a truly dominant performance in all facets. It shows a lot of grit to come back from that. Again. This game is a perfect example of why lacrosse is such an amazing sport. This team has major cajones.

The big four.
#1 Jared Bernhardt - A (senior
4g, 2a

#12 Logan Wisnauskis - A (redshirt junior)
1g, 3a

#16 Anthony Demaio - M (redshirt junior)
3g, 1a

#2 Bubba Fairman - M (junior)
1g, 0a

The offense was pretty much clicking in the first half they just struggled to get the ball. Bernhardt had a few goals where he did it all himself and just showed his athletic brilliance (so thankfuI I was wrong about that injury scare I mentioned last week). The second half was constant motion just brilliant cuts. They elected to bring a double team to Wisnauskas, so he was in a feeding role all day and we really took advantage of finding the open man.

#37 Danny Maltz - A (freshman)
5g, 0a

#41 Jack Brennan - M (freshman)
1g, 1a

In the first half both of them each had a shot where we didn’t have time to get a man behind the cage to back up. At the time, I thought they rushed it but they are freshmen they will learn. In the second half, They played so clutch, like seasoned vets, Brennan had a laser of a goal beat the goalie near side upper 90 from a tight angle. Incredible. Will talk about Maltz more later.

#20 John Geppert - D (sophomore)
#43 Brett Makar - D (sophomore)
#54 Nick Grill - D (senior)

Keep in mind this is just the recap of the way I saw the game, and I mentioned last week I thought Geppert was exposed (even though he was the B1G Defensive player of the week, it wasn’t because of his defense, it was his clutch goal in week 2 IMO)

He was a liability in the first half. Constant missed slides on his side of the field between him and Rahill or him and Puglise led to a lot of communication breakdowns and open shots. However, The sliding was so improved after halftime hat I only counted a handful of quality shots in the second half.

LSM
#8 Matt Rahill junior
1 g, 0a
#17 Justin Sherrer (freshman)

So Rahill did play and had a really good game. His play on the wing was really key in the faceoff matchup in the second half.

Justin Sherrer is really logging some good minutes at LSM. He’s a really good athlete. Remember the name. He’s a good one.

These are two of our best athletes we need them healthy.

M
He’s Back!
#23 M Kyle Long sophomore
1g, 1a

He is returning from injury and obviously not up to full speed. But his impact was felt in the limited action he saw. Had a really nice move, beat his defender and finished top shelf. Very quick. Will be interesting to see where he fits back in the rotation.

Jake Higgins the transfer from Cleveland State. Played with a short stick and returned to SSDM, this week, he appears to be the team Swiss Army knife and play where needed.

Goalie
#35 Matt Brandeau (sophomore)

Through the two games i haven’t been very impressed. At halftime of game 3, i was starting to question why he is the guy. He seems to get beat low a lot and gives up a lot of bad angle goals because he closes his feet too early. However, he was very clutch in the 2nd half, only giving up two goals, he didn’t have to make a lot of saves but he made the ones he needed to. He was a bright spot and hopefully continues the momentum.

Face-offs.
Yale’s F/O man Kyle Gallagher is above average. He really was having his way with Justin Shockey in the first half. And it was really deflating not being able to possess the ball. The coaching adjustments in the second half were brilliant. The staff elected to stick with Shockey all day and Shockey was able to stall Gallagher long enough to allow our wings to come pickup the ground balls. He didn’t win many cleanly but he did his role and the mental fortitude to come back from getting beaten down and come back was impressive.

Player of the game:
#37 Dylan Maltz Fr. A

Talk about a coming out party! He took over the role that Louis Dubick thrived in, right in front on cage. He has shown through three games he has a knack for getting open. Making quick cuts getting to the spot. He had a wrap around goal from an impossible angle. Showed serious skill level. Him and Brennan play with a certain flair which is awesome to see for freshmen.

Overall.
Another amazing performance. One of the things I really enjoy about lacrosse is the chess match, watching adjustments coaches make. Etc.

two things that jumped off the page were. 1)The depth Maryland played with, constant subbing, keeping new bodies in the game. Our conditioning really wore them down by the end of the game. They couldn’t keep up.

2)The Defensive adjustments and the strategy at the faceoff X. I know the kids won the game but Tillman and staff deserve a lot of credit for an amazing 2nd half gameplan.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.