ADVERTISEMENT

Keepers, Sweepers, Oh My

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Time to take a look at the precocious young talent coming up for Sasho next year for the 2012 Maryland squad. I like to start with New Jersey Talent Kyle Roach. Roach got a quick baptism of fire with his first significant minutes against power house and eventual National Championship. This kid showed some moxy by more than holding his own against UNC’s upfront talent. The thing that caught my I early with Roach is his field awareness. He’s left phooted and he’s plays a rough style of play. When I saw his aggressiveness and take charge approach, the first player (for comparisons sake) that popped into my head was Ethan White. Roach , IMO, will get first crack at filling Alex Lee’s graduated spot. If he starts in the back four then I believe it might be the first time that Sasho has had two left phooted backs (Kemp as well) to start at the same time.

Next up was Mister Irrelevant for the 2011 class, Mikias Etchia, but this kid will be very relevant next year as he’ll be in the mix for sure in the midfield and up front. Etchia has a burst and plays within himself. He’s holds the ball well. He’s a little hesitant out there when I saw him at times but that is to be expected. The DC united club protegee will be a key component for Sasho’s squad come next year. Look for Etchia to play more a role in the front. With Townsend graduating along with Matt Oduran, Sasho looking for players that can create and score. The Jeb Stuart grad should get his a chance.

Jordan Cyrus, is Mr utility. Sasho used him at a number of positions this year (partly out of need). This guy is cerebral to play at the outside back to striker. Most observes project him to be slotted at one of the forward spots next year. He’s strong, sneak fast and can hold opponents off with the ball. His first touch needs a bit improvement but that will come. He’s not Casey Townsend but this former HS all American is a worthy replacement.

Marquez Fernandez, quick player whose tenacious as a defender. Got to start in 2 late games. Sasho played him in central defender in a game but I think ultimately Sasho will move him to outside back. Need to see more of his game but he’s not scared out there and will push forward and join the attack the times I saw him out there.

Since I was talking on the central Defense , you can hear London Calling. No it’s not the Clash Album the 80’s punk rock classic but London Woodberry coming to his own as a central defender. This guy is athletic, fast and will battle for the ball. Strong and tenacious , with a wily athleticism that the Dallas star brings to the table. He’s one Sasho will be counting big time for next year’s squad.

Time to take a tour of Norway’s import Helge Leikvang. The 6-3 played central Mid holder and central back in the ACC tourney game against Louisville after Alex Lee got hurt. Leikvang is fairly strong and his pretty good speed. He’s aggressive and might of led Maryland this year in yellow cards. So the kid is not bashful. Does Sasho keep him back at Central defense with Woodberry. Spring time may tell the tale on this potential move.

Coors light state ? Colorado’s finest with Taylor Kemp manning the left outside back. Has sweet left phoot and the kid scan scoot up the sidelines with the ball. He’s one of the top seniors in the country for 2012.

Get that EZ pass for that 95 import from New Jersey as Daniel Metzger is going to be one of the real good ones for Sasho in 2012. Tricky, slippery and plays in space well. Could be the number 1 player off the bench if he doesn’t break through in the starting lineup

Shrimp and Crawdads ? Sasho did well about six years ago when he imported Jason Garey from New Orleans. With Patrick Mullins from the Bayou state, the comparisons are there. With Townsend going, Mullins gets to be the man up front. There’s been talk about him turning pro. We’ll see how this one plays out.

Pace Maker ? No cardiologist needed for this football/wrestler turn soccer player. Had an impact in a good way against Louisville as Sasho need some aggressiveness to turn the physicality of the game towards Maryland. Will be in the rotation up front now Oduran is graduated

Surprise Surprise- Jeremy Raley…..to me he was the biggest surprise to me on this Maryland team. If you look at Jeremy’s numbers, nothing doesn’t jump out but this kid does dirty work and then some. Put a cap on his head and a broom in has hands as he’s the classic sweeper.

Sun Shinny Day, where’s singer Johnny Nash- Mr Xcitement …. Sunny Jane. I’ll say this about this kid. I don’t think I’ve enjoyed watching a Maryland player more since the days of Maurice Edu. Jane is a spins and twirls seltzer who turns into a Whirlpool dryer on the pitch. All heat and constant play in this kids game. This guy by most observers is the best 1 on 1 player in the country but Sasho asked him to be more a distributor this year and he was highly effective. Does Sasho give Sunny Jane the go more on an attacking mode next year with Townsend’s goals departing. Keep the fingers crossed with Jane staying as well.

Canadian Mountie - First Canadian recruit (Parker Walsh)that I can think of that Sasho’s
Brought in. He adds depth in a position that needs shoring up. He may even crack into the starting lineup. Good physical marker. Didn’t get too many minutes but expect the minutes to go up this year. The back four the last two years has been in flux a bit. Parker’s Walsh will get to make his mark first come this spring in the spring games.

Is he Isn’t he ? They mystery man, all the ability in the world , the foot skills , the quickness and the courage. Just needs to keep focus. Wydner Saint Cyr. I have a feeling that Sasho is saying “Is he Isn’t he”…. An outside back or a mid. With this kids skills you would think he’s the next Rodney Wallace. Sasho wanted him as a outside back defending. This kids instinct is to push forward. His focus sometimes drifted during the season. Too talented to not to have in the lineup. One more time…Does Sasho move him to mid? Could happen, Spring time decision.
Next up ? - Maryland’s been blessed with Zach McMath and Chris Seitz. Next up is Keith Carodona. Not a finished product and he showed some needs in the Ville loss in the NCAA tourney. Big strong kid with good quickness. Free Kicks is something that needs work and to the target as well. Bigger wing span than McMath. Looks Like with his Frame, opposing targets will not be able to chip much over this tower. Future is bright and will play a huge roll next year for this Maryland team.

Jordam Tatum - RS frosh whose skills are deceptive. Good quickness, anticipates opposing forwards well. He surprised in a Maryland camp and Sasho likes his skills. Backup goalie. Can’t wait till he plays in the spring.

Sergeant York - or Pennsylvania’s city of York’s finest but “ Is a Doctor in the House?”. Alex Shinsky, the nation’s best coming out of high school, a kid who can break defenders ankles, deliver the ball through a needle of an eye and deliver a blistering shot. Going forward, he’s the key to the engine. If he’s fit , he can be devastating with Sunny Jane. Unfortunately he was already hurt this year. Sasho can only hope he stays healthy.

Coming up…. How the 2011 class fits in for next year……..

Great info TMAN. Better than a media guide. I got more information in one of your posts than I have got from ten days of TTK's tick tocks, LOL and Pale Riders on the other board.

I'm with you on one thing I want to see the collar off of Sunny. Let him run wild up from with Metzger.

TMAN, Refresh my high school memory on one Player. Wasn't Jake Pace a defender in high school.

Awesome post!

I put up a notice on Premium telling people to check out this post. And very encouraging overall. A couple of questions and comments. :

1) I loved your comment on Mr. Irrelevant, Etchia, who IMHO joined the program too late to really make a major impact, but he did help out very nicely. I am not sure what his true position is -- and with all the others present, do you see him as a potential starter or are we talking quality minutes?

2) Do you have a sense on who may be leaving early for MLS? I just don't see any of the guys due to return as being at that level where they can realistically think about it. That doesn't mean I think they stink; it means I think they aren't ready. The only one who IMHO might possibly be ready is Taylor Kemp, but even that is a reach. On the flipside, it would be a HUGE help if they all stay put. That will give Cirovski his best chance at another national title since the last one in 2008.

3) I am developing doubts about London Woodberry. I thought when he got here he was going to be the next Omar Gonzalez. Was I overestimating him, or have injuries held him back, or what? I would LOVE to be proven wrong and see this guy as a late bloomer as I think the physical talent is obvious enought. He might even be one of those guys who actually has a better pro career than a college one -- a late bloomer and/or needs to be in a different system. I dunno....

4) Based on a screaming need for experience on the backline, my guess is that Leikvang stays were he is, but who knows....meanwhile, I see you are going to post on the incoming people later so let me throw a couple of questions: is Mike Ambrose a possible starter there? Ambrose is, after all, the #3 player in the country at any position according to the College Soccer News. If he is really that good, seems to me he has to go in. Hmmm.... and with Cardona back and pretty much a shoe-in to start, does Dakota Neidermeyer have even a prayer of a chance of getting PT -- or is this a hedge against the possibility that some day Cardona follows MacMath and leaves early for the MLS?

5) Agree on Metger which is why I have the aforementioned question on Etchie. Where do you put him? Frankly, I am not sure of Metzger's true position either -- somewhere in the midfield obviously but is he somebody you can convert to defensive mid a la' Ian Rodway or Michael Dello Russo -- or would you even want to do that? I dunno....

6) I would not have made the connection between Sunny Jane and a Whirlpool dryer, LOL, but I see where you are coming from. I agree with you and POLY: the guy HAS to start somewhere. I like him for his work in a goalmouth crowd scene as much as Metger or anyone else. If he is not up front as an attacker than as an attacking mid; I look at this guy and think 'bodies going forward."

7) Agree on Cardona. Got thrown from the frying pan into the microwave too late in the season, but the kid is going to be a really good one.

8) If anyone needs time in the weight room, Shinsky is it. The training staff should put his photo on the wall of their office, marked "Special Project". That said, you think of a front six attacking group with Shinsky, Jane, Stertzer, Mullins,

Last but not least, feel like taking a stab at a projected starting lineup? Ahhhh, probably way to early for that, but what the hell, its Christmas.

Blessings and best regards,
Mike
This post was edited on 12/17 6:22 PM by Fekula

Hey Poly...I think your right with PACE at one point (defense) but Sasho saw something with him up front so he switched Big Jake.

T.

Sizematics reading, guesses, and estimates (see above)

nm
This post was edited on 12/19 2:47 PM by TMAN

Re: Awesome post!

With Etchia, Sasho put him in some critial games and in some tight spots so I know Sasho likes the kid. As u said he got a late start on things but he looks like a good one as he has some "quicks".

On Taylor Kemp and the rest of the kids , yea I agreee with you that most (if not all)should come back but we're talking kids here and someone starts chirping in the ears and their heads get turned ect. Look at Paul Torrez as I found out through the grapevine that he was trying to hang in there overseas with a Swedish club. Hard to figure that one and others...

With Woodberry, he's a guy IMO that Sasho needs to chain to the bench press. Get his upper body stronger and he would be something. He's pretty good now. He's a FC Dallas club player and there's been some talk that the Dallas MLS team may want to call the rights on the kid but I think he stays. Woodberry started as an outside back but this year Sasho put him in central defense. Another year being comfortable with CB position then he could become the player we're both expecting him to become.

On Leikvang, another player that needs to get into the weight room. Austin Berry, the Louisville strike, got the better of him twice at critical times in the second half. He overpowered Leikvang and Berry is a step fast than Leikvang. It will be interesting to see Sasho keeps him in Central Defense. For the spring games, I'm sure Sasho experiments. If Leikvang stays then who goes to holding midfield? Would Sasho move Jeremy Raley over into that position and put Metzger at outside back. That would be alot of moving parts but spring is the time to experiment. Metzger would be terrific on the outside IMO. He's a tireless worker and he has some creativity playing in space with his head up looking for open teammates. Have to wait N see come spring.

Everything I heard about Ambrose, is he's the real deal and has a ton of U17 experience and top competition playing for his Texas squad. He's in the mix for sure along with Dakota Edwards whose had one hell of run the last six months. To be honest, the back 4 has been a weak link for Maryland now for 2 years in a row IMO. Injuries and having very young depth in that spot has played a big part in my statement with this.

I like your idea..... For the next post, U , Me , and Polly.... lets discuss starting lineups and subs...

Have a great Xmas.

t.
This post was edited on 12/22 9:03 AM by TMAN
This post was edited on 12/22 9:03 AM by TMAN

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT