ADVERTISEMENT

Hoops media day and open practice

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
Just finished up the basketball team’s media day and open practice (warmups).

Will post the Willard presser here in a bit. He really isn’t much of a talker like Turgeon was, as far as when he’s addressing the media. But he gets it. He has totally embraced this program’s history and rabid fan base and the expectations.

Donta Scott has lost 30 lbs according to Willard. He said its just been a matter of eating better and watching what he drinks along with time in the weight room with Tarp. He says he’s feeling better and is ready to get back to playing like he did as a sophomore.

Jahmir Young is going to be the one that makes this team go. He’s the guy.

The one player who I think might surprise folks is Ian Martinez. He is absolutely better than he showed last season and I’ve heard good things. He also seems really excited to play for Willard and says he’s fully adjusted to Big Ten play which is much different than the PAC 12 was.

All we heard over and over from Willard and the players is that this year’s team is going to play fast. And being that they all have the same thing to compare it to, the players believe it and have bought in.

Quick practice observation…finally, this is how practices are supposed to be run! Practice is night and day from what we saw under Turgeon and I only saw like a half hour. High energy, everyone always moving, no standing around. And as soon as they really got down to it, Willard’s intensity went to another level (might have heard an F bomb or two, also). This is how I’m used to seeing teams practice. This year’s team is going to have its growing pains and they might not be where they want at the end of this season, but you have ti love the direction the program is headed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.