ADVERTISEMENT

HEY Poly - Penn is next

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
Sasho and the kids have the Penn Quakers coming in. They're 13-5 and they beat Bucknell 1-0 last night. Maryland "should" handle them. I expect Sasho to play everyone against the Ivy league squad.

A lot of people also were expecting for Old Dominion to beat UVA (they did and I wasn't picking the Monarchs). UVA lost 1-0. I have to admit I was hoping UVA would make it through to meet Maryland up here in Ludwig because I wanted a "beat down" of the Hoos. I'll have to wait till the Cavs come up here next year. UVA only loses 2 seniors and they do have a pretty good class coming in for September. It's ironic that Virginia is the one team that I have not seen Maryland play over the years at Ludwig.

t.
This post was edited on 11/19 4:27 PM by TMAN

Had to go look up the Penn roster because I knew I would recognize some names. Christian Barreiro from Calvert Hall : I really liked him in H.S., must have seen him play 8-10 times.

Jake Levin, McDonogh , another player a saw multiple times. Hard to get a sense of how good a defender he was in High school, since McDonogh always seemed to be on the offensive.

Penn reminds me of a couple of outstanding high school players from my neck of the woods, who played there after high school.

John Borozzi ( Dundalk, 1972 )

Nick Petrowski ( Patapsco, probably a few years after Borozzi )

Both were outstanding offensive players.

Re: HEY Poly - Interesting game this weekend

Michigan State advances to meet a hot Butler team (game is at Butler) over the weekend. Both teams are in North Carolina's bracket. A lot of people think Butler is the sleeper in the North Carolina bracket and that might be true. But I've seen that Michigan State team up close and in person and the Spartans can play. If Michigan State should get by Butler,they have a dam good chance to beat UNC. The heels will be favored but Michigan state has size skill and a toughness that can advance them a long way...

t.

Hey TMAN ... About this Weekend

Glad to see UMBC advance ( I'm an Alum ), didn't they beat Maryland in a scrimmage earlier this year.

Creighton ... I think they knocked the Terps out a couple of years ago, there are in the UNC group.

Kind of surprised Brown beat Boston College.

Still amazes me that only one major D1 college ( SMU ) from the state of Texas plays soccer. There are a lot of good players down there.

Re: Hey TMAN ... About this Weekend

Creighton lost over the weekend to SMU (I think). U might be right that they knocked the terps out one year.

With Boston College, I've saw them twice and they have a hard time generating offense. You have to score goals.

Yea, it is surprising that SMU is the only team that a home school down there that recruits soccer talent. I hope it doesn't change as Sasho cherry picks down there in recruiting (Omar Gonzales, London Woodberry, ect). I know Sasho went after hard Cameron Brown (UNC hurt this year) and Corben Bone (Wake , left early) so Sasho does buy the plane ticket for Texas every now and then.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT