ADVERTISEMENT

Hey POLY - NCAA SELECTIONS TODAY

TMAN

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
It's probably a lock that the NCAA tourny committee will match Md vs UNC in one semifinal. I don't think they'll want an all ACC final match.

Don't know if u saw the match yesterday but UNC outplayed Md by a wide margin in the 2nd half. Sasho had the team go into a defensive shell and it almost cost them. Sasho's thinking (i'm sure) was he had the lead and Md was up a man. UNC looked like they had 20 guys out on the pitch as they were running circles around Md in the 2nd half. But Md "survived" and claimed the crown. If these two teams meet again, I expect Md to play full throttle against the Heels. In the first half of the game yesterday , Maryland was schooling the heels. Md should play their first game this Sunday at Ludwig.

t.

Hey TMAN .... Never got to see the game yesterday, but your comment about the defensive shell ( no pun intended, turtle reference ) seems to be a recurring theme. If I remember correctly several times this year they have went into this shell with two goals leads, Clemson clearly comes to mind, and just barely survived.

Who do you see in the semis: Akron, Louisville, Terps, UNC , BC, UConn ?

By the way, I got a chance to watch a replay of the football game last night on CSN. Great Win. But what really amazed me was the terrible ref jobs. Two plays in the first half clearly come to mind: The fake field goal where VA scores. There obviously were mutltiple instances of holding by the VA lineman.

# 2 The worst no call of the game. The long kickoff return by VA early in the game. The returner is brought down by our kicker, but to be more accurate he is brought down by the swinging feet of our kicker. Isn't tripping illegal.

Also, they have to change the pass interference penalty. When you only get penalized 10-15 for grabbing a wide open receiver something has to change. That score could have been a lot worse .

Lastly, Great Job Coach Pensky !!!!

Of the teams you mentioned the one team that I have not seen is Louisville. I know they're back line is regarded as one of the best N the country. The comments I've heard from scouts on the Cardinals is can they score some goals when they come across the iron teams. I saw Akron last spring when they came to Ludwig. Maryland handled them pretty easily but both teams (I'm sure) have changed since that meeting. Akron beat UNC in North Carolina and Maryland lost to the heels down in Chapel heel so u can't just discount Akron as they get dis'd sometime because they play in the MAC. UCON impressed the heck out of me everytime I see them and why do I feel they're going to be in Maryland's bracket. I would also not be surprise if Virginia is put in Maryland's bracket as well. UCONN has a kid by the name of Tony Casico whose one of the best mids I've seen. He's pretty dam good. But I have to admit that if Virginia is in Maryland's bracket then it's a good thing because the Hoos are a shell of what they were from last year. BC, I don't see them as a threat. They lack the offensive punch. They rely on counters and the other team in making a mistake. I would be surprised if the Eagles go that far.

I only saw part of the football game on Saturday and didn't see the replay. A pleasant suprise on the team for sure but I don't like how Franklin and Ralph have mismanaged Jamar this year (and years past). But that's another topic on another board at another time.

As for Coach Pensky,..yea a hell of job. I would believe recruiting has gotten a little easier for him now....

t.
This post was edited on 11/15 5:15 PM by TMAN

Terp Women's Soccer: just plain unlucky

I am sure you guys heard the story: it was either a stomach virus or flu that ran through the team the day before the game -- at least half the starters were affected. Very sad, especially for the seniors. I didn't know about this until afterward and have to say I had been wondering why it looked like the Hoyas had more energy through most of the game; now I know why. Not to take anything away from G-Town as they definitely played well, but this just wasn't the real Maryland. Nothing can be done but get ready for next year. Brian just did a tremendous job this season; the program is poised to take off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT