ADVERTISEMENT

College Soccer News Speaks.....

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
This is a nice write up on Maryland, reviewing how they crashed out of the tournament in 2010 to Michigan, the guys who left, the guys who stayed, the guys they got -- a good summation. Former Terp Media Relations guy Adam Zundell is an editor at CSN -- don't know if he is the one who wrote this but he has one of the best soccer minds in the media and does a fair job -- not partisan, but respectful.

Note, CSN has given Maryland's recruiting class a 5 star rating, but have given the same rating to Furman, which they also report has 9 starters returning.

CSN on Maryland Recruiting, 2011 Projection

Good article but I disagree on one aspect. I believe there's still enough talent on this team to win a national Champsionship in 2011. They're more a threat than this writer for CSN thinks. Their writer also didn't mention Marquez Fernandez nor Jeremy Rauley, two kids who redshirted, that will help tremendously this year.

Also Jason Harrick was very good and he will be missed, but this kid Sunny Jane, has a chance to be special and the Maryland attack up front with Jane and Townsend could be even better in my opinion. You add Matt Oduran along with Stertzer (whose interchangeable), Md should be fine. And the back four , despite the loss of Ethan White, should be better. I REALLY like this kid from last year, Helge Leifvang, whose very skilled and physical. Don't be surprised that this kid starts in the back four. The pipes is where people will see a chink in Maryland's armour but I believe Sasho will either start Swaim or the kid from NJ and come tournament time the goalie should be solid.

I like this team alot in 2011 and they may be the favorites again in the ACC for 2011.

t.

Agreed

Its amazing how Fernandez was the Next Big Deal coming out of high school and then gets forgotten because he took a redshirt year. Go figure. As to Herrick, I always thought he was one of the zillion players that go into that 'good but not great athletic ability' category -- the ones with good but not blinding speed, above average ball skills, good leader, etc etc. but you wonder about how he does at the next level. Jane, on the other hand, drips with potential; Oduran to a lesser extent but a very good player who has been lost in the numbers so far. Also agree on Leifvang if for no other reason that with White gone, they need a big, fast, physical guy back there; he will get a long look, to be sure.

I think the spring season will be especially interesting, albeit my duties with our national champion Women's Lax squad are priority right now. I will be interested to hear your impressions and those of the other regulars here about how those games go.
This post was edited on 3/1 11:57 AM by Fekula

Re: Agreed

Mike...thanks for posting the spring schedule. I will definitely catch a game or two with Sasho's gang this spring.

T.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT