ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball & Football Nat'l Champs

perreault

Freshman
Gold Member
Jan 12, 2008
Happy and safe Holidays to all..

While we watch our hoops team prepare for Big Ten play and other schools move into bowl season, I was thinking just how difficult it has been for schools to hold national titles in both sports. Just hard to believe we are joined by only eight (8) other universities! There have only been 2 schools in the last 30 yrs (Michigan and Florida) and only 1 in the same year (Florida). Only MSU and Florida can brag of multiple championships in both sports. UCLA and Michigan share the lead with a total of 12 each. We are joined by Michigan, Michigan State, and Ohio State in the Big Ten. We were the lone ACC school to hold both......until Syracuse joined. Please correct me if I've blown a stat here...

Clearly, there are a number of schools that are seemingly in both polls consistently improving there chances. Seems like West Virginia, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Texas, and North Carolina could be on the list based on relative historical success in both sports.....but are not. As we desire to be in the conversation in both sports, I'm interested in the board's thoughts about who might be next to join the 2-sport natty club and why so few programs seem to achieve ongoing relevance in both revenue sports. Cheers!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News