ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody watching the Copa America?!?!

Fekula

All-Big Ten
May 29, 2001
I just watched Uruguay take down host Argentina on PK's. OH MY GOD, is Argentina going to be feeling the blues over this one. You get the feeling the Argentines are getting tired of hearing how great Lionel Messi is. Yes, he is a great player, without a doubt (and he had a beautiful assist in this game) but he needs to win something. I am not sure how much of this is his fault -- there were long stretches of the game where he never got a touch on the ball. He can't do much if his teammates can't find him. They need somebody like Juan Veron who, at his peak, was a leader, distributor, all-around tough guy and fireplug. Alas, his career is near its end and they don't have anyone to replace him. I thought Macherano might be that kind of player, but it hasn't happened.

In the meantime, Uruguay proves the Final Four appearance in last year's World Cup was no fluke. Las Charruas are for real! Diego Forlan has proven to be one of the greatest players of his generation. Frankly, he has taken his team farther than Messi has, and one would argue that a small country of 4 million population like Uruguay should not be turning out more talent than Argentina. Well OK, they aren't turning out that much talent, but their coach Oscar Tabarez has them all on the same sheet of music and playing some inspired soccer. This isn't your father's Uruguay which used to be one or two really wonderful players like Enzo Francescoli and Andoni Alzamendi playing with a bunch of thugs.

I hope Uruguay wins the whole thing. They play attractive soccer and really, nobody else is really doing anything. Brazil looks more like Switzerland. They probably should bring in Marta from their women's team. This ain't Rinaldo, Rivaldo, and Ronaldino. I wouldn't be shocked if someone like Chile managed to advance out of the Elite Eight. Its a strange tournament this time.

Right here Mike. Luv the Copa. My daughters and I love soccer. That game was sic *Uruguay vs Argentina*individual play to super stars galore (Messi, Suarez, Forlan).

How about Uruguay vs Brasil in the finals? Brasil though has to get past a pretty good Paruguay squad that tied them in round one. This one should be a war. The Brasilian coach made a smart move in the last game inserting Maicon and Robinhio back into the lineup. How the in the "H" do u keep Maicon on the bench in the first place. Brain Dead coach.

Have to admit that the Womens US stuff is very secondary in my house hold compared to the Copa. Today's the Samba boys are on at 3:00. Can't wait.

t.

Re: Anybody watching the Copa America?!?! and the Women's WC

I am all over the Women's WC and the Copa! This is one of my favorite times of the year: bigtime games that really matter and simultaneous tournaments. It was off the hook last week with the U-17 tournamant also going on.

As to resting Maicon, my guess is that most of these guys have had long Euro club seasons and fatigue is a major factor. If you need to rest somebody in the 1st round games and can get away with it, then you do that. Agreed that Brazil vs. Uruguay seems the most likely result, but stranger things have happened.

TMAN: Brazil and Paraguay scoreless in the 2nd half

Man this Is a wierd Copa America. You said Paraguay would not be easy and you were right. They always seem like a pesky bunch.

Now channel surfing between the Copa and the Women's WC.

Re: TMAN: Brazil and Paraguay scoreless in the 2nd half

Paraguay had 1 freakn shot in the whole game. Brasil must believe they're the goal net is the size of pin head for them. Can we say "OVERTIME".

MAN I luve this stuff.

t.

OK, so will it be Paraguay v. Uruguay. An All-Guay Final...

I never would have thought it, especially not when Argentina is the host. The thing is, those countries are all geographically close, so the Argentines get to put up with happy neighbors in the streets of Buenas Ares for the next week. Que lastima!

Re: OK, so will it be Paraguay v. Uruguay. An All-Guay Final...

Paraguay puts two shots on goal the whole game and wins. Total domination by Brasil but I've seen this time and time again. U have to finish your chances in soccer. Unforgiving sport.

Looks like Uruguay all the way. I believe Chile will surprise and get to the finals.

t.

Agreed

I have appreciated Chile since the last WC when their coach had them attack, attack, and then attack. They are fun to watch and a Chile vs. Uruguay game would be worthwhile.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT