ADVERTISEMENT

‘Secret’ hoops scrimmage

TSR ScottGreene

The Guy in Charge
Staff
Nov 10, 2013
The basketball team had their ‘secret’ scrimmage on Saturday versus Georgetown (who will be on the regular schedule starting in 2025) and lost by a final score of 68-64.

Wanted to wait until I actually spoke with someone in the building before posting but here’s what I got.

No surprise here, but Queen pretty much dominated for the Terps, scoring 20-plus and hauling down a number of rebounds. While I expect Reese to be a double-double machine this season, it just feels like Queen’s production is what will ultimately decide the fate of this team. He’s a unique talent, extremely skilled and has the ability to make everyone around him better.

With all of that said, I wouldn’t read too much into his numbers from a scrimmage vs. G’town. The Hoyas really don’t have much, if any, experience in the front court save for Micah Peavy, who’s really more of a wing despite being 6’9”. Thomas Sorber is their prized freshman big and Queen is simply a lot better.

A few other things, sounds like Harvard transfer and one-time Terp target Malik Mack was the best player on the floor for the Hoyas and their leading scorer. It is also worth noting that their leading returning scorer, Jayden Epps, did not play. Maryland trailed by double digits at one point, but started using some full-court pressure in the second half to create some steals and easy offense.

A couple of quick takeaways? I wouldn’t get too worked up over the result, seeing that it was the first scrimmage of the season. These scrimmages are more about tinkering with lineups and seeing what works and what doesn’t more than anything. That said, the fact that Queen scored roughly 1/3 of the Terps’ points should definitely raise some eyebrows. It is also worth noting that the feedback was kinda similar to last year’s secret scrimmage when they lost to UVA minus a couple starters.

I also don’t think you really learn anything about your bench in a game like that, as neither team is very deep.

Outside shooting needs to continue to improve and if I had to guess right now, Selton Miguel will be the go-to guy in that department as he shot the ball very well last season and it sounds like he picked up where he left off in the scrimmage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.